Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys i'm tryin gto install the drl led

i've been trying to play with the fuses cause i bought one of these: Pico 0956pt Mini Fused Circuit 16 Awg 10a : Amazon.com : Automotive
and followed mjmmjm5 instructions on this: http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/7...installed-pics-installation-comments-etc.html
but i noticed that like him, the HAC fuse gets in the way. And i'd like to keep the HAC fuse in since i do like the Hill-start Assist Control lol =P
i tried to use some other fuse that kick in when the battery starts, but i wasn't sure...
anybody know what sensors2, sensors3, and injectors fuses do? If given the opportunity, i'd like to plug it into the sensors3 fuse,since i'd be able to plug in the fuse easily.
does the spare 10A fuse have power? from what i've been reading, it's only to hold in a spare fuse, but can i draw power from it?

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,199 Posts
A spare fuse holder has no power to it. It's just a place to keep the fuse.
The sensor fuses supply power to things like O2 sensors I believe. I wouldn't mess with those. The injector fuse is pretty much self-explanatory. send power to the electronic fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm well i'll be plugging in that add a circuit fuse thing, and i'd be able to plug back in the fuse that was originally there, so shouldn't it be ok if i use it? it's pretty much just an extension cable and i'd be able to plug in two fuses into that same spot.
I'm just unsure where i can plug it in so the power will come on with the car. mjmmjm5 has a nice set up, but it doesn't seem like a stable connection

besides tapping into the fuse in the car...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too am looking to install LED Eagle Eye DRL's! I tinkered around searching for power when the car key is turned into the 'accessory' position without much luck. I am unwilling to tap into something important like a ECU or Fuel Pump. Generally speaking windows or windshield wipers should power on only when key is inserted and turned! Haven't found those yet though. I either have had bad weather or no time to go searching. When i do I'll post back.

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
If you wanna install it in the engine bay fuse panel use the A/CON fuse. If you wanna use the fuse panel inside the car use the C/lighter fuse.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah.. i wanted to use the A/CON fuse, BUT the stupid add a circuit fuse can't be installed there cause of the HAC fuse...

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
yeah.. i wanted to use the A/CON fuse, BUT the stupid add a circuit fuse can't be installed there cause of the HAC fuse...
Thats weird in my 2011 LX I have my pigtail fuse in the ACON fuse.

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
No, only when you turn the key to the on or acc position.

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
Im looking at that DIY and I can see how the HAC fuse blocks the add a circuit. My fuse panel must be configured different.

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
I'd say your best bet would be to run the wire through your grommet and into your interior fuse panel and use the c/lighter fuse.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'd say your best bet would be to run the wire through your grommet and into your interior fuse panel and use the c/lighter fuse.
ugh... i really wanted to avoid that as much as possible.... i was hoping there would be a way to have them turn on with the car from the fuse box =( well i'm installing these in about a month or so, so i'll just keep playing with it for few more days. keep me posted if anybody has any other methods!!

oh and i've actually seen the add a fuse with the power cable coming up and out of the fuse instead of the side, anybody know where i can get these? i saw it on some site but i have to buy a small case of 24

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh SWEET!! i'll try that out again once i get a chance. but even when i tried plugging it in to the sensor 3 tab, i was having real hard time getting it to fit... any tips on that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
May be able to use these things called ATM automotive fuse taps. I think you pull out the fuse you want to use and line up the tap with the hot leg of the fuse and plug them both in together. Then use a push on connector on the piece sticking up to get power for LED's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ah sweet, thanks. as long as i know it works i'm good lol. and i was going to wrap the positive line around the fuse box cause i didn't think there was to get it out through the front, but i guess there is an opening lol.
Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts