Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is anyone aware of any known issues with A/C Condensers on 2015 Optima SXLs?

When my son turned on his A/C yesterday, he noted a smell like burning plastic or burning wiring.
He searched the internet and found notes from others stating that this may be due to a leak in the A/C condenser unit with the coolant leaking onto the evaporator. It stated this is an expensive fix and to get it fix immediately as it could cause additional damage to the cooling system if not corrected

Any thoughts on if this could be the actual issue and if this is a known issue with this year/model?

(This model/brand was definitely a lemon from the start; first replacing the bad LED tailights , then the driver seat heater, then the engine, now this issue. He was hoping to get one more year out of it. ...I'm not sure. currently has 92k miles.)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
The A/C condenser is in front of the radiator with the evap in the HVAC unit inside the car, and a refrigerant leak won't cause a burning smell in the cabin.
No problems like this that I know of, but any coolant lost? Maybe have someone use a cooling system tester to see if it holds pressure. Being an SX, Can you manually increase fan speed in steps to the highest setting w/o a problem? Cabin air filter been replaced?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read of issues, mine is being replaced as we speak.......only 60k, 2011 sx tdi....and just replaced filter and filled with auto parts store stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts