Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a little over 700 miles on our 2019 Kia Optima LX with the 2.4 engine. Has Kia figured out why the engines were failing? Anyone with a 2019 have engine problems? Only issue we had was the horn started honking when my wife opened the door to get out to do some shopping. A lady came by and told her to press the close door then open door on her key fob and it stopped the honking. Other than that, all is well.

On her Ford, she would put her key in the ignition and turn on the engine to stop the honking. On her Kia, the engine would not start with the key, so she was lucky the lady came by with the solution to the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI is fine at 13K. Keep yours maintained and engine clean (3.75k OCIs). Use 5w30 synthetic that's SP certified / Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils. Put Techron Fuel Tank Cleaner Concentrate in the tank every 4-5k. Use Top-tier fuel. I prefer 89 octane. Use a whole can of CRC GDI Intake Cleaner every 12k. Both my air filter and cabin filter were dirty at 10k and I don't drive on dirt roads or have dusty air outside. So change those more frequently too.

Lastly, don;t drive it like Grandma. Stomp on it to relieve soot in your exhaust pipe that will turn your exhaust black for a few seconds at a cold start. Mine started doing it at about 10k, because all our driving was in the city / stop & go. So now I take it on the highway / freeway and stomp on it 3-4 times in the next few miles. I try to do it every-other-week.

It's good for that engine. Don't baby it and keep that dipstick oil level at the full mark.... always.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI is fine at 13K. Keep yours maintained and engine clean (3.75k OCIs). Use 5w30 synthetic that's SP certified / Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils. Put Techron Fuel Tank Cleaner Concentrate in the tank every 4-5k. Use Top-tier fuel. I prefer 89 octane. Use a whole can of CRC GDI Intake Cleaner every 12k. Both my air filter and cabin filter were dirty at 10k and I don't drive on dirt roads or have dusty air outside. So change those more frequently too.

Lastly, don;t drive it like Grandma. Stomp on it to relieve soot in your exhaust pipe that will turn your exhaust black for a few seconds at a cold start. Mine started doing it at about 10k, because all our driving was in the city / stop & go. So now I take it on the highway / freeway and stomp on it 3-4 times in the next few miles. I try to do it every-other-week.

It's good for that engine. Don't baby it and keep that dipstick oil level at the full mark.... always.
No maintenance you do on the engine can prevent engine deterioration and if it's destined to go, it will eventually die, so save all your money on the non needed extras as well as the high speed runs 3-4 x week..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
Amazing, synthetic, both with 5w you could tell the difference on cold start.
Lighter oil is better, guess that's why Kia/Hyundai recommend 5-30 on the turbo engines.
The oil gurus just keep coming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
(My opinion)
Lighter oil is only better on cold startup / below freezing. The other 99% of the time, thicker grade is better.

Also turbonut, nobody can prevent deterioration. But we sure can slow it down. I mentioned how above. If you want to drive like Grandma and not do any maintenance, well that's your choice and hopefully not the choice of others here.

I'm not getting into a fistfight over this. So peace-out on this subject.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts