Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2017 Optima LX, and I just traded it Tuesday (Aug 4) for the 2021 K5 EX. I know these are new and there isn't much discussion about them in this forum yet. Just curious who else has made their way into one.

Mine isn't fully loaded, but has a handful of additional options (not the EX Premium Package, however). I've enjoyed it so far, and I think it looks great. Gravity Gray exterior, with the sand interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice looking car. Am considering picking up the GT once available. Interior looks very premium at the price point, which was the main attraction to me. I am coming off a 2017 GTI, so was excited to see the DCT with the turbo engine as well.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
567 Posts
I have the opposing feeling on premium. I think the black shiny plastic interiors are so cheap looking and nothing but a nightmare. Kia use to be different from Hyundai in this regard and now they're the same. The plastic always show fingerprints/smudges, get scratches, etc. I love the older Optima with leather/vinyl everywhere. I think that looks much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The color combination is nice. I can't believe you have to pay another $4000 or so to get the better stereo system, or that you can't get the AWD on the EX or GT trims.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,936 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @meubin10

I am happy to announce that you are the 1st 2021 K5 owner here to post on the forum.

Definitely a great looking ride for sure! Let us know if there is anything we can help you find for it.

We already have a few items in stock for the new 2021, Center Console Tray Inserts, Emblems, Spark Plugs, Tune, Oil Catch Can, etc.

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance with finding anything to personalize your new K5. :)

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking car. Am considering picking up the GT once available. Interior looks very premium at the price point, which was the main attraction to me. I am coming off a 2017 GTI, so was excited to see the DCT with the turbo engine as well.
I saw that the GT is supposed to come later this year. What I've read sounds nice, but I really don't get too heavy into vehicles. I like something nice (to me), and I'll make modifications as I see fit.

I have the opposing feeling on premium. I think the black shiny plastic interiors are so cheap looking and nothing but a nightmare. Kia use to be different from Hyundai in this regard and now they're the same. The plastic always show fingerprints/smudges, get scratches, etc. I love the older Optima with leather/vinyl everywhere. I think that looks much better.
That's fair. I really don't care much, myself. I work from home and really don't have to drive much. My 2017 was bought new in Nov 2017, and only had 19,800 miles on it when I traded for the K5. :D If I drove much more often, I would certainly have pushed to get into something even better.

The color combination is nice. I can't believe you have to pay another $4000 or so to get the better stereo system, or that you can't get the AWD on the EX or GT trims.
Yep, I think that's pretty crazy, too! I think the premium package was really the only difference between the first K5 I saw, and the one I bought, and yeah it was a $4K-$5K difference.

Welcome to the Optima Forums @meubin10

I am happy to announce that you are the 1st 2021 K5 owner here to post on the forum.

Definitely a great looking ride for sure! Let us know if there is anything we can help you find for it.

We already have a few items in stock for the new 2021, Center Console Tray Inserts, Emblems, Spark Plugs, Tune, Oil Catch Can, etc.

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance with finding anything to personalize your new K5. :)

-David
K5 Optima Store
Ah, nice! I checked your store yesterday, I think, and didn't see much. I'm really just interested in some minor cosmetic upgrades, so I'll keep an eye on the store for availability on those things. :D

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,936 Posts
Ah, nice! I checked your store yesterday, I think, and didn't see much. I'm really just interested in some minor cosmetic upgrades, so I'll keep an eye on the store for availability on those things. :D
Sounds good, we are a very small business, and even though we have some new parts here in store for the 2021 K5, we have not yet had a chance to add them to the site.

Feel free to reach out through email anytime, as we do have a few cosmetic goodies I think you may be interested in. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
74 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the K5 GT version two weeks ago. Dealer confirmed it will not be available until Oct-Nov. They had an EX version on the lot but I figured I can wait and order what I wanted. Mine will be black and the fact it is AWD is a big factor in my choosing it. I loved my last two Optima SXL's and decided to stay with a Kia.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the K5 GT version two weeks ago. Dealer confirmed it will not be available until Oct-Nov. They had an EX version on the lot but I figured I can wait and order what I wanted. Mine will be black and the fact it is AWD is a big factor in my choosing it. I loved my last two Optima SXL's and decided to stay with a Kia.
The K5 GT cannot be optioned with AWD.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
74 Posts
The K5 GT cannot be optioned with AWD.
Whoa! I called my dealer and he says now that he isn't sure the GT has AWD! What?? He will be getting back to me with what he finds out. AWD is important to me given where I live. I can't believe my dealer was unaware of this issue when I asked them to order one. This includes the sales manager. Anyway, thanks for the heads up so I can find out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Whoa! I called my dealer and he says now that he isn't sure the GT has AWD! What?? He will be getting back to me with what he finds out. AWD is important to me given where I live. I can't believe my dealer was unaware of this issue when I asked them to order one. This includes the sales manager. Anyway, thanks for the heads up so I can find out.
Unfortunately only the LXS and GT-Line can option AWD.

Reactions: K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sounds good, we are a very small business, and even though we have some new parts here in store for the 2021 K5, we have not yet had a chance to add them to the site.

Feel free to reach out through email anytime, as we do have a few cosmetic goodies I think you may be interested in. ;)
David, anything for the Sonata? Specifically for the N-Line?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,936 Posts
David, anything for the Sonata? Specifically for the N-Line?
Nothing specific that I am aware of, but many of the same parts we sell like tuners, spark plugs, catch cans, etc. are all going to be compatible.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nothing specific that I am aware of, but many of the same parts we sell like tuners, spark plugs, catch cans, etc. are all going to be compatible.
Even for the 2.5T?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks! I just sent an email. :)

Good stuff. I thought about waiting for the GT as well, but I liked the EX plenty. I got my first Optima (what I traded for the new K5) new in 2017, and I loved it as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What exactly are you asking about, the tune? PM me directly, but yes, this is compatible on the 2.5T engine.
Just anything specific to it. I figured since it's got a new engine and transmission and being in the top trim it would have more hype around it and therefore more customization.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone,

New person to the forums.

I may not be the first, but I picked up a EX w/ Premium Package in red on 8/7/20. Traded a 2016 Subaru Legacy with 88k. Wasn't going to do another red car for a bit, but when I saw it, couldn't help myself. I was the first person to take delivery of a K5 at this dealer as well.

Bought with 20 miles on it, already past 850 miles as of 8/14/20. I commute 150 miles per day round trip, so I went with something that was going to be comfortable, good gas mileage, and looked good. I average 40k/miles a year, so I plan running this until about 100-120k and getting something else. Already got an appointment at a dealer to look at a plastic squeak in my HVAC controls as well as a popping noise in my headliner. Otherwise, I am really, really enjoying the car. Considering I spend roughly 2.5 hrs a day in my car, this was totally worth it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts