Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antenna cover came off on the freeway, dealer says you can't buy just the cover, need the whole module, wants $700 for the module plus labor. Help! Any ideas on getting just the cover?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
I don't really get the logic in engineering a multi-piece antenna module which in the case of our Optima antennas it clearly is a multi-piece design since when these covers managed to get detached they don't exactly "break" off...yet the dealership claims that the only solution for such a mishap is to replace the entire module. Can you imagine a scenario in which say somehow the headrest of your seat is damaged and the dealer tells you that you can't buy just the headrest but instead you will need to buy an entire seat?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,347 Posts
The way I see it, it's like a lego set. If you lose a piece and go back to Walmart, they simply can't give you that one piece. The only option is to buy a new lego set.

Doesn't hurt that the entire module makes more profit, compared to just that one plastic piece you actually need...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
Fair point; however, I'd imagine your average Lego set doesn't cost $700... ;)

Regardless, personally I'm happy to see that there is at least one option for the antenna cover that doesn't require having to buy an entire module. What sux is that these days there are more and more car components where the parts that make up the component are fully contained--i.e., it is not possible to replace a failed part of a component without replacing the entire component itself. Remember the days where fuel filters used to be external of the fuel tank? These days they're either contained within the fuel pump itself or just as worse, situated inside of the fuel tank thus making it a bit more difficult to replace.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,347 Posts
Well, one day, they'll be like "Oh, your antenna broke, too bad we don't sell that part separately, now you need to buy a replacement car..."

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima EX 2.4L
1 Posts
My antenna cover came off on the freeway, dealer says you can't buy just the cover, need the whole module, wants $700 for the module plus labor. Help! Any ideas on getting just the cover?
Just look on eBay... They have just the covers there....No need to get the complete Antenna assembly...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts