Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL (Normandy SR2)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some posts here on these forums, I decided to take my 13 sxl over to the same dealership I bought it from way back in the day. Thankfully the dealership hasn't changed much so I'm on good terms with the crew there. So far my car got a good will headlamp replacement for the chrome burnoff, new bulbs, and I started an oil consumption test. Well, today is the last test. The last time I went I was down 1.2 quarts. On Friday I checked it and it was below L on the dipstick. So here goes nothing.

If I do get a new engine under warranty (at 130k miles LOL). There are still a few things that I want to do on the car. So i'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm thinking of seeing if I can acquire these nice brow lines, and adding in some Diode Dynamics leds in my fog lights.
(2011-2013 Kia Optima 2-Way LED Eyeline Kit)
(Fog Light LEDs for 2011-2016 Kia Optima (pair))

I'm going to start saving up and get a set of Megan coilovers (off k5 optima store of course). Anyone know if these are good? I've never done coilovers, but they seem relatively simple to do minus the alignment. (I should probably change the bushings too shouldn't I? Maybe I'll do that after? Just to save me some money.
(Megan Racing Coilovers (Street Series))

Next I'd like to fix the butt portion of my seat warmer. The back heats up nicely, but I don't like my gams being frozen to the seat. Any tips on this one?

After all of that, I would love to swap in this head unit to upgrade mine. It seems like a drop in upgrade, but again, I haven't seen it in real life, does anyone know if it's any good?
(12.1" Android 7.1 Navigation Radio for Kia Optima 2011 - 2013 K5 2011 - 2015)

And finally, I want to put some red engine enamel over the chrome trim. Sort of a chrome delete but tinted. I think it'll look nice, but I'm still debating on this. In addition, I want to see how to paint the white pillars of my white car black as well as the hood and the trunk lip black. Maybe vynil? Not sure if that'll be harder or easier. I'd rather not go through all the annoyance of getting it painted professionally. But it may be the only option. I could see about plastidip, but I'd want it gloss. (Someone on these forums has this already, and you're the inspiration for that.)

Not sure what else I should do. Maybe get a catch can?

Honestly I KNOW that I should probably cut my losses and trade this car in, but financially I don't want to do it. That and I find it fun to spend a day or two over the weekend working on cars. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Nope, not crazy at all. It's a great hobby to work on cars. Sometimes it's more rewarding to have a car you've put work into, rather than a new car after the initial excitement wears off.

As for the tesla-style gigantic tablet, I am still on the fence. I really want to do it, but keep thinking about whether I'd be irritated by needing to wait longer for the rear-view video feed compared to how long it takes on the existing Kia unit.

I think the car would look much better with coilovers. Again I want to do it but keep putting it off. I think I will once my existing suspension components wear out.

Haha I'm sounding like I'm repeating myself but I also agree with the eyeline kit, yep I'll want that too.

As for the LED bulbs, I'll do mine when the existing stock bulbs wear out, because I like to keep mine turned off so it's less a priority for me to replace them (compared to a driver who likes to keep them on all the time, for enhanced appearance).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's in the shop. Waiting to hear back.they gave me a base model though so not too happy about it. But it's a good experience.

Glad I don't sound crazy. My suspension is ok, but I have a feeling that it's very boat like. The body roll is more than I'm comfortable with considering I drive like an bat out o- I mean spirited. Do these coilovers lower it? I kinda want to raise it up an inch for more of a presence.

I do tend to keep my fog lights on, but now that I've angled my lights up a bit I may not need to. Still though it would look much better without having halogen colored lights. It's a decent chunk of money for everything. But mult fiance is supportive and as long as I do it slowly it'll be less painful.

Will the Tesla like screen actually take longer for the backup camera though? I don't know a whole lot about it other than seeing the mod in the pictures.

I just want Android auto honestly and compatibility with the upgraded sound system. So I'm up for other options if there are some good drop in replacements.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
Hope they get it replaced for you under warranty, as that would be nice to get a fresh start.

A couple of things to cover from your 1st post.

1) (2011-2013 Kia Optima 2-Way LED Eyeline Kit) (As shown on our site, this product has been permanently discontinued unfortunately)

2) (Megan Racing Coilovers (Street Series) (This is a fantastic product, & right up there with the BC Racing Coilovers we sell)

3) I have heard a lot of people have run into issues with the Tesla style stereo, which is the only reason we decided not to carry it on our site.

Let us know if you have any questions we can help with before ordering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine is getting put into the car under warranty and should be able to pick it up sometime in the next few days. YAY!

Dang, so there's no way to get those nice lights? That's a super sad face. Should've bought them sooner, but I had to get new headlights.

Is there a head unit that you would recommend? At a good price? I've got the nav package and the infinity sound on my car. Honestly all I want is android auto and a drop in replacement with all my existing gear.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
Awesome, happy to hear that!

No, unfortunately not, they have been discontinued for some time now.

Nothing I can think of to be honest. The unit we sell only works with the non-Nav models.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
In the classifieds section you will find a few members selling parts form their Optimas. You can find coil overs there as well as a tesla unit. So go check it out. As for a head unit replacement, if you have the nav package and the infinity sound system, its a bit more complex, but has been done, just search the forums, you should find plenty of threads. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh nice. Didnt even notice that. My heart isn't set on that Tesla head unit. I just want Android auto in all honesty. That's it. Being able to use the obd2 plug I got on it is just extra. But that's seriously all I want. Android auto in my car. So if there's an alternative with a drop in replacement I'm happy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18 days, still waiting to get my car back. Incidentally I saw another recall on the news. Fuel line issues with replaced engines. Told the dealer, they seem to have no clue about it. I find that a little odd though. The carfax article says it's the low pressure fuel line. The next one says it's the high pressure fuel line in cars that had their engines replaced. Car Recall: Kia Optima for Fuel-Line Issue | CARFAX

Guess we wait and see? Or maybe I should just call up kia since my car is already in the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts