Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

2017 Optima SX. I haven't had Sirius form many years after the free trial with a new car. I cancelled and never signed up again.

But lately I thought I might go for the $60/year deal. So I turned on Sirius in my car and it seems like I have quite a few channels! I know we pay for my wife's car but not mine.

My question is if they are offering free service during COVID (which I read they did through May I believe). My wife seems to think it's a free preview until June 6.

Or I have also heard of weird circumstances where if you don't have the subscription for many years, then turn it back on, you will get it for free! (That's actually what happened to my folks' portable XM player from many years ago. I now keep that player in my garage and it never doesn't play.)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
102 Posts
Hi all,

2017 Optima SX. I haven't had Sirius form many years after the free trial with a new car. I cancelled and never signed up again.

But lately I thought I might go for the $60/year deal. So I turned on Sirius in my car and it seems like I have quite a few channels! I know we pay for my wife's car but not mine.

My question is if they are offering free service during COVID (which I read they did through May I believe). My wife seems to think it's a free preview until June 6.

Or I have also heard of weird circumstances where if you don't have the subscription for many years, then turn it back on, you will get it for free! (That's actually what happened to my folks' portable XM player from many years ago. I now keep that player in my garage and it never doesn't play.)

Bill
Yep free until July 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Bill
In my experience usually it's a trial period or the previous owner never deactivated on their old vehicle, I have also had customer service representatives give me multiple 6 month free trials in hopes of having me subscribe at the end, sort of like the cable retention department. They try very hard to dissuade you from not using them. In my current vehicle I just got a 3 month free trial, even though I was intending to pay lol.

I mostly got it this time for the satellite navigation, when I don't feel like connecting my phone and using Android auto

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also had customer service representatives give me multiple 6 month free trials in hopes of having me subscribe at the end, sort of like the cable retention department. They try very hard to dissuade you from not using them. In my current vehicle I just got a 3 month free trial, even though I was intending to pay lol.
Do you have a good way of wording it when you talk to them to get you the 6 months? I used up my new car free subscription a few years ago so I wonder if I even qualify for another free subscription.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have a good way of wording it when you talk to them to get you the 6 months? I used up my new car free subscription a few years ago so I wonder if I even qualify for another free subscription.

Thanks!
If you have the gift of gab, create a new account and enter your card details, a few days or a week before the trial ends call them and say something like " I really appreciated the trial but didn't find something I liked during my trial, I'll just stick to Spotify, can you delete my account so I don't get charged?" Also write down your account number so it's the new account being deleted.

Feel free to switch the wording to fit more naturally to you. This method has 2 working parts in order to successfully execute.

1. You have to really sell it, so it feels natural when you say it and not scripted

2. The representative has to believe what you're saying. If you feel like they don't, I would find a way to hang up.

Lastly I wouldn't try this approach no more than 2/3 time's before you end up on some list or training call for future representatives

Good luck !

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have the gift of gab, create a new account and enter your card details, a few days or a week before the trial ends call them and say something like " I really appreciated the trial but didn't find something I liked during my trial, I'll just stick to Spotify, can you delete my account so I don't get charged?" Also write down your account number so it's the new account being deleted.

Feel free to switch the wording to fit more naturally to you. This method has 2 working parts in order to successfully execute.

1. You have to really sell it, so it feels natural when you say it and not scripted

2. The representative has to believe what you're saying. If you feel like they don't, I would find a way to hang up.

Lastly I wouldn't try this approach no more than 2/3 time's before you end up on some list or training call for future representatives

Good luck !

Thanks but my original trial ended almost 3 years ago! I would assume I'm still in their system so maybe I can call them and just see what they say!

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2013 Optima Free
3 Posts
Thanks but my original trial ended almost 3 years ago! I would assume I'm still in their system so maybe I can call them and just see what they say!

Thanks a million!
You are correct, I used my bargaining skills to get a lower cost by saying I was going with another service. Be polite and they will make you multiple offers to keep you, or get you back.

In the end though I cancelled and went with a cheaper service, Itunes to begin with and now I have switched to Spotify.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
LOL I haven't even been driving my Optima frequently enough due to SIP/WFH to even take advantage of that even if I had known about the free offer beforehand.

Also--I haven't tried this link (see below) recently--since again, I haven't been driving my car regularly--to know if it still works today, but in the past I've used it somewhat-repeatedly to get the free 3-month trial period. The trick is to wait a few months or so after your trial expires; I've done this successfully multiple times on my Optima but again I can't say for sure if the trick still works today--I don't want to try it on my Optima this time around because if it does still work it'll be a wasted 3-month trial for me.

SXM Free trial offer--lather, rinse, repeat as desired.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL I haven't even been driving my Optima frequently enough due to SIP/WFH to even take advantage of that even if I had known about the free offer beforehand.

Also--I haven't tried this link (see below) recently--since again, I haven't been driving my car regularly--to know if it still works today, but in the past I've used it somewhat-repeatedly to get the free 3-month trial period. The trick is to wait a few months or so between attempts; I've done this successfully multiple times on my Optima but again I can't say for sure if the trick still works today--I don't want to try it on my Optima this time around because if it does still work it'll be a wasted 3-month trial for me.

SXM Free trial offer--lather, rinse, repeat as desired.
Tried the link and it works great! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
Tried the link and it works great! Thanks!!
Glad to see that it still works! And the great thing about using that link is that you aren't required to provide a CC or some other form of payment method, probably because it's a trial offer that automatically expires at the end of the 3-month period. However, they do/will have your mailing address so be prepared to get SXM spam snail mail every few months or so.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,772 Posts
Yeah they always run promotions and turn on the radios several times throughout the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts