Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • 2014 Kia Optima LX
  • 74k Miles
  • Just had new belts put on around 73k as well as the other regular maintenance
Drives great and I have no other problems. I don't know how long this has been an issue since I live 15 minutes from work I never drive more than 30 minutes really at any given time. Especially with COVID happening, I've been working from home so not much driving at all.

Then, I moved about a month ago and drove for 9 hours straight except for stops for gas. about an hour into the drive the AC cut out. Didn't get warm or anything, just slow stopped blowing. 100% air flow to 0% over about 5 minutes. I shut off the air for 10 or so minutes, then turned it back on and it worked again for another 20 minutes then stopped blowing again.

Like I said, idk if this has been happening for a year? 6 months? less / longer I don't know since I don't drive it for long periods of time.

I can take it to the dealer but if it something I can fix on my own I'd probably do so.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
When it occurs, ac on max, fan high, and no air flow, or there is flow and air not cold?
If air flow stops completely blower motor not running, or can you hear the blower running, but no air out of the vents?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it occurs, ac on max, fan high, and no air flow, or there is flow and air not cold?
If air flow stops completely blower motor not running, or can you hear the blower running, but no air out of the vents?
No airflow at all. Not even warm. Blower makes a sound like it's running, but no air comes out.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,845 Posts
Hmm, is the A/C set to a certain temperature? If so, maybe the system is just cutting back once the interior cabin temperature reaches the target temperature.

But there is a manual fan control. What happens when you use the manual fan control to increase the fan speed?

If you use the manual fan control, it will disable the automatic temperature, and just blow at whatever manual fan speed you choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual fan control doesn't change the output when this happens. Also, I should note that while I can hear the fan speed increasing when I adjust it (when it's not working) It sounds muffled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. It's like the system is being choked and little air flow comes from the vents (hot or cold). The ac line under the hood also frosts up, excessively. All of the selection buttons work, it's just that somehow the airflow restricts itself. If the car is off 10-15 minutes, it returns to normal, but later will restrict again.
I've replaced almost every single part but a valve against the firewall. Ac Cold air seeps out with the system off, from startup, I have to close the outside air switch to prevent unwanted cold air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts