Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m a new owner to a 2018 Kia Optima and i was wondering if any of you could help me out. I just got the car and while the AC was working when i bought it, the next day it stopped working, started working again for a few mins, and is now not working again.

is this a common problem? With it being an intermittent problem, i was hoping that someone could help me out.
I’m not specifically handy with cars, but I’d prefer to try and fix it myself before going to a shop.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Could you describe the exact steps and results?

Like, does the car act like you didn't even turn on the AC? Or does it turn on but comes out warm?

Does it light up any indicator lights or make any noises?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Hi all, I’m a new owner to a 2018 Kia Optima and i was wondering if any of you could help me out. I just got the car and while the AC was working when i bought it, the next day it stopped working, started working again for a few mins, and is now not working again.

is this a common problem? With it being an intermittent problem, i was hoping that someone could help me out.
I’m not specifically handy with cars, but I’d prefer to try and fix it myself before going to a shop.
Thanks!
The most common problem is people constantly have their defrost on which means the A/C is constantly on and overworked when you don't even need it. Do you hear the A/C compressor cycle?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
How many miles?
The compressor doesn't cycle as it's always running and historically the electronic control valve
is the culprit. Our '11 2.OT, I needed to change the valve twice, once at 115,000 miles and the second time 185,000 miles.
Various problems when the valve dies, the compressor takes a while to start producing cold air, sometimes a few minutes, other times 15 minutes, at idle no air, sometimes it works other times it doesn't, but when it does work it's fine when moving, nice and cold.
If this is the problem, the valve can be replaced but the system needs to be discharged, valve changed, vacuum, charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you describe the exact steps and results?

Like, does the car act like you didn't even turn on the AC? Or does it turn on but comes out warm?

Does it light up any indicator lights or make any noises?
there aren’t any indicator lights or strange noises. It kicks on just like it should but it blows warm air.

It has 35k miles on it. I’m not sure if i hear the compressor cycle or not, but I’ll try it tomorrow with the hood open.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
there aren’t any indicator lights or strange noises. It kicks on just like it should but it blows warm air.

It has 35k miles on it. I’m not sure if i hear the compressor cycle or not, but I’ll try it tomorrow with the hood open.
Did you read the above reply?
The compressor doesn't cycle as it's always running, it's a Variable Displacement Compressor.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima LX 2.4L GDI Automatic
8 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Kia Optima at 80,000 miles (High I know), but my car's AC does the exact same thing. It will blow cold air for a little bit, especially when I am driving but otherwise it gets warm. Very annoying. Let me know if you find the legit cause of the issue.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Kia Optima at 80,000 miles (High I know), but my car's AC does the exact same thing. It will blow cold air for a little bit, especially when I am driving but otherwise it gets warm. Very annoying. Let me know if you find the legit cause of the issue.
Mileage not that bad, I'm at 197,000 miles, the engine has a lifetime warranty as long as the KSDS has been updated, so make certain it has, not a recall, but dealer would know if any updates need to be done.

Electronic control valve at the back of the compressor. Part is <$50, but as I stated earlier, system
needs to be discharged, part replaced, vacuum system, then charge. Dealer and/or some shops want to install a new compressor, so the repair price certainly makes a dent in one's pocketbook. People we know, not knowing any different, had Kia look at it, and was slapped with an $1100 bill (72,000 miles).

Part replacement is fairly simple, remove under cover, unplug valve, remove snap ring, install valve, I used refrigerant oil on the o ring, install snap ring, vacuum and charge, 19.4 oz.

When I first got into this anomoly in 2016, there has been only 1 person that changing the valve didn't correct the condition, but as it wasn't local, not certain whether installation done properly or valve was compromised.

Caution-Do want to say that the 2 pins on the valve are extremely fragile and must check their condition before installation. I got burnt on a valve I installed, and when charging couldn't get refrigerant to be pulled into the system. Discharged again, removed the valve, pin was bent and as they are extremely thin, broke when trying to straighten. Parts store replaced the valve, but still had to vacuum then charge again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it always start out cold and then gets warm? I know on mine the evaporator sensor is no good and the evaporator will freeze up, especially if it is really warm. So i just manually cycle the the AC by pushing the button to turn it off and on every few minutes and then it will unfreeze and work.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Does it always start out cold and then gets warm? I know on mine the evaporator sensor is no good and the evaporator will freeze up, especially if it is really warm. So i just manually cycle the the AC by pushing the button to turn it off and on every few minutes and then it will unfreeze and work.
Many have thought the problem was related to deficient parts, but find that it still goes back to the valve.
Certain the sensor is bad, just to add, the compressor never shuts off, and did you test the evap sensor?
Very easy to remove, take reading, place in refrigerator/freezer then take another reading, and if found to be bad a new unit is only $17.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts