Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So have you installed any android apps onto your system?

Are there any limitations on what apps you can install, or access - does the system work like a big tablet, or is it limited to car-specific Nav system and others?

I wonder if you could run a video chat program like Duo, or Google Voice for data-based phone calls. Or maybe Kasa home control software, to turn on home features while you are still driving home. Or even Google News or Youtube?
I have installed a few apps to the unit.

The unit works in the same way as any device running the android operating system.

The unit can install everything that can be found in the play store, as well as, of course, youtube, Spotify, etc.

There are also a variety of car launch apps. These allow you to customize different themes as well as what the operating system looks like.

·
Registered
2013 Optima TX 1.7 CRDi
8 Posts
So, finally someone successfully installed Android unit into the TX version of EU Optima (with Infinity, Navi and AC on multimedia screen), congrats! So I can also order this one :)
Can You tell me if original microphone also works for phone calls? Or You need to install aftermarket one? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes you can order a similar unit =) If you order from the same place, you already know what to check before installation and during installation.

I do not use the original microphone. I use the microphone that came with the unit.

I installed a microphone and a GPS antenna under the steering wheel. Both work well.

I can take the picture, if you want.

·
Registered
2013 Optima TX 1.7 CRDi
8 Posts
Yes, I'll order the same unit just to make things easier for myself - so far everything is clear to me (what wires/pins I need to change, etc).
If You can send pictures of mic and antenna positions, that would be great (but it's not urgent :) ). Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I would have working canbus decoders for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes, I'll order the same unit just to make things easier for myself - so far everything is clear to me (what wires/pins I need to change, etc).
If You can send pictures of mic and antenna positions, that would be great (but it's not urgent :) ). Thanks a lot!
Have you found instructions on how to remove the old unit and in what order the interior of the car should be dismantled?

·
Registered
2013 Optima TX 1.7 CRDi
8 Posts
Have you found instructions on how to remove the old unit and in what order the interior of the car should be dismantled?
Unfortunately not, I found instructions for this part on which USB and lighter are attached.. You have it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Very important are a few things to do during installation.

You need to remove the "Airbag passenger light unit" from the old unit. This unit is connected to the same wiring harness in the car. If you forget to do this step, the car will have an Airbag warning light on.

Second, you need to remove the air temperature measuring part. This part will be installed on the new unit.

Third, you need to remove the air controller/ air valve from the old unit. This controller/ valve will be installed on the new unit. Fortunately, everything is screwed on, so removal is easy. I have pictures of these that need to be transferred to the new unit.

·
Registered
2013 Optima TX 1.7 CRDi
8 Posts
GPS and mic reception are fine although you install them under wheel? That's great then because on my last car in which I installed Android (Chevy Cruze) I need to install GPS antenna on dash (near A pillar) and mic was installed between steering wheel and cluster (and still reception was average, I had to speak louder so that other side could hear me). Mic is very important to me since I spent a lot of time on talks over hands-free.. I saw on Your videos that unit is booting very fast upon car unlock and engine start, it's in some kind of "stand by" mode all the time or that's cold boot? If it's stand by, You're not afraid of battery drain? Also, regarding rear camera - You used existing wiring or You pulled new cable from trunk to multimedia? I think these are the last questions which I had, everything else is clear so far :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I'm a first time optima owner (first car ever!) And I'm trying to upgrade the radio myself. I recently bought a 9 inch unit from Phoenix Automotive and I've been scrounging together whatever help or references I can find online.

I managed to install the unit by myself but there are 3 wires that I have no clue where they go. Can you tell me what you did with yours? I've attached a couple pictures. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I'm a first time optima owner (first car ever!) And I'm trying to upgrade the radio myself. I recently bought a 9 inch unit from Phoenix Automotive and I've been scrounging together whatever help or references I can find online.

I managed to install the unit by myself but there are 3 wires that I have no clue where they go. Can you tell me what you did with yours? I've attached a couple pictures. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
489 Posts
Those are the GPS Antenna in the first picture, and the Radio, Sirius XM, and I'm not sure what the last connector is...

Stick the GPS antenna to your windshield up near the top by your rearview mirror mount, and run the wire into the head unit to enable navigation (DON'T connect it to the WiFi antenna socket!). Connect the Radio antenna wire to listen to broadcast radio, it should plug right into a connector exactly like the one on your stock radio. You probably don't have a Sirius XM connector, and that's fine, nobody uses satellite radio anyway. The last one may hook into your A/C system, check for a connector of the appropriate type.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
489 Posts
GPS and mic reception are fine although you install them under wheel? That's great then because on my last car in which I installed Android (Chevy Cruze) I need to install GPS antenna on dash (near A pillar) and mic was installed between steering wheel and cluster (and still reception was average, I had to speak louder so that other side could hear me). Mic is very important to me since I spent a lot of time on talks over hands-free.. I saw on Your videos that unit is booting very fast upon car unlock and engine start, it's in some kind of "stand by" mode all the time or that's cold boot? If it's stand by, You're not afraid of battery drain? Also, regarding rear camera - You used existing wiring or You pulled new cable from trunk to multimedia? I think these are the last questions which I had, everything else is clear so far :)

Yeah... He did it wrong... The GPS antenna should be mounted near the rearview mirror mount for best results (Tuck the wire into the headliner, and route it through the A pillar cowling, then behind the glovebox inside the dashboard), and unless he speaks with his feet, that microphone is less than useless where it is... The head unit should have a built-in microphone near the HVA/C vent, and it ties into the existing microphone wiring, so the extra mic is not needed.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,829 Posts
Any idea if you can use the original GPS antenna in the shark fin antenna on top of the car?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
489 Posts
Any idea if you can use the original GPS antenna in the shark fin antenna on top of the car?
That's the Sirius XM antenna housing... There is no navigation antenna in there, unless the car had navigation stock, in which case there may be one, and it would have it's own connection to the head unit...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the reply. So let me get this straight, I don't need to connect the 3 wires on the right to the new unit? I was thinking that maybe they forgot to send me a part or something. Am I only connecting the new unit to the white plugs coming from the dash and everything else connects to the new unit itself? I thought I would have needed those 3 on the new unit. I guess I just have to figure out how to connect the other wires properly.

These are all the wires coming from the dash, and that's the back on the new unit. I think I'll give it another shot tonight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Those are the GPS Antenna in the first picture, and the Radio, Sirius XM, and I'm not sure what the last connector is...

Stick the GPS antenna to your windshield up near the top by your rearview mirror mount, and run the wire into the head unit to enable navigation (DON'T connect it to the WiFi antenna socket!). Connect the Radio antenna wire to listen to broadcast radio, it should plug right into a connector exactly like the one on your stock radio. You probably don't have a Sirius XM connector, and that's fine, nobody uses satellite radio anyway. The last one may hook into your A/C system, check for a connector of the appropriate type.
The last one is USB-connector.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I made a video of how long it takes for the unit to cold start.

I also made a video about using the air conditioning control panel.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts