Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Optima S, I am trying to install a set of door warning lights purchased off ebay. I am trying to find the wire attached to the door latch which controls the interior light. I found a yellow wire going to the latch but it turns out to be a constant power and not switched. I need to find the switched wire. I thought the yellow would work but NOPE drained my battery dead. HELP I really want these lights for my door.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forum.

Not sure on where you would need to tap into unfortunately.

I did want to comment though, as I saw these as well on Facebook or Instagram.

If you end up getting it figured out, please post up a video here, as it looks kind of cool.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Optima Forum.

Not sure on where you would need to tap into unfortunately.

I did want to comment though, as I saw these as well on Facebook or Instagram.

If you end up getting it figured out, please post up a video here, as it looks kind of cool.

-David
K5 Optima Store
Basically I need what ever wire activates the interior light when you open the door. Older models had a small rubber switch neat the striker bars. KIA has now made it so it activates when the latch on the door itself is opened...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind is the dome lights but I think they stay on for a bit after shutting your door? I really can't think of anything else that is powered on and off by the doors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I am looking for is the switched wire for the dome lights so I xan tap into it for the for mentioned lights I am installing

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
What I am looking for is the switched wire for the dome lights so I xan tap into it for the for mentioned lights I am installing
What you need to do is wire the door lighting in parallel with the dome lights. This is accomplished by running wires from the front dome lights down the A pillars to the door hinge points, and running wires from the central dome light down the B pillars. I have footwell lighting in my car wired up in a similar fashion. I have also wired up my front door reflectors to light up using this method. (This also allows you to have zone controlled footwell lighting, BTW).

Long story short, you need to use the existing wiring for the dome lights as your source, since it's an easy source to parasite off of, and can also be switched off should the need arise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts