Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Yes one can use a T, however, not being overly familiar with the "air" quality coming out of the catch can, can one be assured that 100% of the air is clean as at times that's what would be going back into the engine?
Another is that the cc is being evacuated by the vacuum in the intake manifold, so that hose going to the intake tube would also receive that same vacuum, so how would that interfere with the air going into the engine through the T?

Dunno, maybe I'm thinking too much about that line, just overkill, but I still say if one would put a one-way valve into the factory clean air hose, that certainly would stop any oil, if any, going back into that intake tube, especially if placed near the valve cover. Not really fond of the one-way valve, but.............

Maybe we'll hear from someone with more experience.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
If the intake manifold is producing more vacuum then the turbo feed tube line, the check valve closes on the feed tube line. (In theory) This is probably why there's 2 check valves in the kit. The check valves produce a hand off system to provide consistent vacuum at the PCV. While also preventing interference.
The quality of the air, could be a concern I guess, I'll trust the manufacturer for now. My impression is that ADD W1 design's pretty good systems, on par with many high end units.
Sense Lap 3 is trusting that the air is clean enough after passing through their catch can, I'm not sure how much we should be concerned.
I'll be venting to air for now vs a tee. In my state new cars are exempt from inspection for 7 years I believe.

My experience is a little dated, but I've had 3 boosted Honda's over my lifetime. Took a break from wrenching to start a family and business. So all the catch can systems I've used where different designs, and much higher HP applications.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Guess just do an install, forget about the system and let it do it's job.
Do have a modified RX 7 turbo with the rotary, never had a catch can before, but guess these crappy dgi engines do need them, at least until the new one arrives with the additional injectors.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Guess just do an install, forget about the system and let it do it's job.
Do have a modified RX 7 turbo with the rotary, never had a catch can before, but guess these crappy dgi engines do need them, at least until the new one arrives with the additional injectors.
Nice, I never got my hands on a rotary motor. I had one buddy in Florida that was a Mazda rotory worshiper, loved those Rx7s. I still think the RX-7 FD (I think it was) is one of the best cars to ever come out of japan.
I'll be a guinea pig, and hope the philosophy is properly sorted out. If I get my hands on a decent vacuum gauge, I'll try to do some testing to fulfill my own curiosity.
I'll also try to remember to keep the thread updated with catch can results after some time. Even tho I have a very basic commute to my Laundromats. Should still see some gunk..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
I'll also try to remember to keep the thread updated with catch can results after some time. Even tho I have a very basic commute to my Laundromats. Should still see some gunk..
Great to see any additional info and I guess you'll never be at a loss for a washer/dryer.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
one more thing...the way the 3.3 is pipe i'd still use a regular catch can and the short intake vent/pipe just vent it to the atmosphere....

look at this setup to catch what i say

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
one more thing...the way the 3.3 is pipe i'd still use a regular catch can and the short intake vent/pipe just vent it to the atmosphere....

look at this setup to catch what i say
Good theory discussion, that's also been applied to a racing application. The system they have set up is closer to what I've seen in other car applications. My previous catch can setups in other cars were mostly designed to release pressure from the crank case/Valve covers. Like discussed in the video.
With many of the setups on the Optimas that I've seen, the focus is on a closed systems and cleaning the PCV dirty air before reenters the system. This is for 2 reasons that I can think of, to reduce the carbon build up on the the intake valves, and to help maintain the air fuel ratio in the combustion chamber. I also sense a desire to maintain warranty status/ State inspection requirements etc. I guess it comes down to personal requirements and desire to maintain inspection status etc.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
FWIW--I've put about 2K miles on my V3.3 and at least at the moment the breather filter or area right around it shows no signs of blowby "leakage" (i.e., oil-like residue), with the filter itself not looking too dirty. Granted again it's only been 2K miles so who knows how the filter will look like after 5K miles or more.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
FWIW--I've put about 2K miles on my V3.3 and at least at the moment the breather filter or area right around it shows no signs of blowby "leakage" (i.e., oil-like residue), with the filter itself not looking too dirty. Granted again it's only been 2K miles so who knows how the filter will look like after 5K miles or more.
any hard accelerations?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
Full disclosure--I don't drive my car very hard (e.g., no hard accelerations except maybe once in a while just to test Sport mode), and definitely not hard on a semi-regular basis, so that may explain why my OCC doesn't seem to collect nearly as much gunk compared to what I've seen from other folks' OCCs.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
So my car was in the body shop for 10 days, so not a ton of driving sense I installed this kit. When I got my car back, I notice the front stabilizer link was clanking, so did some quick servicing of my car and also decided to check the catch can level. It's collected a good amount of vapors, so it seems to be functioning well.
Installed a lap 3 ecu stage 1 tune, so I've given the motor the beans, quite a few times to test the tune.
Edit: Also the filter to air, has no residue.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
FYI/FWIW--I asked the ADD guy, he basically stated that the amount of blowby captured by the OCC is pretty much determined by how much you use the throttle--i.e., the more throttle you use, the more blowby generated, so if you're one of those lead-foot types who like to use more than 25% throttle (I'm guessing at the number but you know what I mean) when accelerating and/or cruising, then you'll get more blowby into the OCC.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts