Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 EX 2.0T, 173,000 miles. A little different scenario in that the engine ran perfect, no problems, simply burning too much oil, so Kia did an oil consumption test last Thursday. Oil/filter change, drove for a week and took it back to the dealer today, 735 miles 2 qts down. Dealership pulled the valve cover, spoke with Kia and they authorized a new engine, 2-4 weeks.
Drove out with a rental, 2020 Optima, 1.6T, not really impressed with the rental though, but kudos to Kia as there was no hassle/debate about replacing the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
2011 EX 2.0T, 173,000 miles. A little different scenario in that the engine ran perfect, no problems, simply burning too much oil, so Kia did an oil consumption test last Thursday. Oil/filter change, drove for a week and took it back to the dealer today, 735 miles 2 qts down. Dealership pulled the valve cover, spoke with Kia and they authorized a new engine, 2-4 weeks.
Drove out with a rental, 2020 Optima, 1.6T, not really impressed with the rental though, but kudos to Kia as there was no hassle/debate about replacing the engine.
Good for you!
Is THIS replacement at 3.x yrs beyond Wrty & 173K Vs 60K for a legal reason (what is it?) or more a PR one?
On the surface it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess you could say it was a PR decision.
I've seen engines, both Sonata and Optima engines replaced because of high oil consumption, even with 200,000 miles, so thought I'd give it a try. Called Kia mid November complaining of the oil consumption problem and the fellow I spoke with thought a qt every 550/600 miles was excessive so issued a claim number. Before taking it to the dealer, made a trip to Florida and back @ 4000 miles and during that trip, when driving in the normal day to day traffic, oil was disappearing at an alarming rate, so took it to the Kia dealer last week.
As stated, 2 qts 730 miles, so I just assume that they (Kia) decided that the oil usage was naturally excessive, and due to the problems with these engines the only way to correct was an engine replacement. The engine does have a lifetime warranty for the "debris" issue so maybe they thought that in time the engine would completely go, so let's do it know.
I'm with the thought that with these GDI engines, the high heat generated causes the cylinders to become out of round and therefore the high oil consumption and/or engine destruction..

The decision took 3 hours as Kia had the dealership pull the valve cover, for what reason, I don't know. When I went to retrieve items from the car, there was a strong odor of gas as the HP pump had to come off to pull the valve cover, but being curious, lifted the hood and they had the valve cover laying on the engine as was the cover, but didn't want to start taking the items off to see the engine so just closed the hood and went on my way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, add me too. 2012 SX, 155400 miles. Driving fine going down the highway, started hearing a rod knock, flashing cel comes on, with limp mode engaged. Took it to my local dealer, scanned, etc, Kia corporate approved, and in 7 days exactly, I had my replacement motor installed. They gave me a free rental for the time, and treated me very well. Op, glad it worked out for you also.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder when it will end? With Lifetime engine warranty conveyed to each owner, the problem could certainly last for years.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
Kia’s engine problem is bad and my 14 hasn’t experienced any issues yet. It has become a backup car because I refuse to give them the crap they are offering me for it. The thing is mint with 52k miles on it but it’s no where as bad as the Tahoe I bought. It idles rough like it wants to stall so they replaced engine mounts. It now has a trans shudder under light load while driving down the highway. It slips and surges when going from 1 at to 2nd. Can’t wait to see what they say when I bring it back in for that. But I can tell you the fit and finish of Kia is way better than GM. At least Kia is stepping up and standing behind their product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
09/08/18 driving vehicle on a back road after passing another vehicle in the passing lane, car would no longer accelerate & petal went all the way to floor easily. Engine light came on vehicle would not start. Vehicle had 90341 miles at time of issue. Had it towed to dan obrien kia in which they denied me for the recall on engine. spoke to kia consumer affairs in which they accepted due to problems with that dealership.was without a vehicle for almost a month,and issues getting a rental. went through enterprise was covered in warranty & recall SC147.

Found engine to be locked up...recieved authorization from techline to replace the Long block under the SC147 recall. Replaced the Long block

Also installed:
Manifold assy-intake
Reman sub engine
tube assy-oil cooler
bolt drive plate
2 different service kits
reman starter
antifreeze/coolant(6)
oil gf5 sn 5w20 qt

Prior to this, Kia inspected my car for this recall and it passed.

got vehicle back 10/10/18 w/ 90,431

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
74 Posts
The decision took 3 hours as Kia had the dealership pull the valve cover, for what reason, I don't know. When I went to retrieve items from the car, there was a strong odor of gas as the HP pump had to come off to pull the valve cover, but being curious, lifted the hood and they had the valve cover laying on the engine as was the cover, but didn't want to start taking the items off to see the engine so just closed the hood and went on my way.
Perhaps Kia wanted them to make sure that valve guides/seals weren't the cause of the oil consumption before authorizing replacement, so they had to pull the valve cover to check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting the new engine for my 2013 SXL was relatively easy back in August.

Getting reimbursed for the rental is ongoing. I had a 2012 SX that would have qualified for a new engine if the FIRE hadn't destroyed the car.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Getting the new engine for my 2013 SXL was relatively easy back in August.

Getting reimbursed for the rental is ongoing. I had a 2012 SX that would have qualified for a new engine if the FIRE hadn't destroyed the car.
was the rental for your 2013?
TSB SC147-alternate transportation expense
the dealer should provide the customer with alternate transportation until the remedy parts and engine replacement procedure become available and vehicle can be repaired.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Yep, add me too. 2012 SX, 155400 miles. Driving fine going down the highway, started hearing a rod knock, flashing cel comes on, with limp mode engaged. Took it to my local dealer, scanned, etc, Kia corporate approved, and in 7 days exactly, I had my replacement motor installed. They gave me a free rental for the time, and treated me very well. Op, glad it worked out for you also.

03/26/19- engine light came on in my vehicle and also went into limp mode.Dealership told me it was due to past recall for the ecu update. all they replaced for me was the knock sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
03/26/19- engine light came on in my vehicle and also went into limp mode.Dealership told me it was due to past recall for the ecu update. all they replaced for me was the knock sensor.
I had already had my ecu update a couple months beforehand. Maybe now that you have yours updated, if it does it again, it will get a different approach.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps Kia wanted them to make sure that valve guides/seals weren't the cause of the oil consumption before authorizing replacement, so they had to pull the valve cover to check.
Good thought and not familiar with the oil seals used on the Optima, so did look up the oil seals and agree that one could see if they were cracked/worn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
was the rental for your 2013?
TSB SC147-alternate transportation expense
the dealer should provide the customer with alternate transportation until the remedy parts and engine replacement procedure become available and vehicle can be repaired.
Yes it was. The Kia dealer near me (Quirk Kia) has a reputation as a sleaze so I bypassed them and went directly to Kia CS when the engine melted down. They assigned a case number and arranged towing to Quirk for diagnosis. They (Kia national) then arranged and authorized a rental from Enterprise that I paid for upfront and was told I'd be reimbursed. I submitted the invoice from Enterprise which was marked paid and was told that they wanted proof of payment in the form of my credit card statement.

TBH, this pissed me off as I've always considered an invoice marked paid to be sufficient proof of payment. Also, I have to say that it took me several weeks to get the statement to Kia, but since submitting it I've heard nothing from them in response to several e-mails. It's too bad because I was quite impressed with how quickly they resolved the engine issue.

I'm sure I'll eventually get my money. It's not a huge sum (~$250.00) and I'm fortunate in that I can afford to wait for it, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of their products.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
They assigned a case number and arranged towing to Quirk for diagnosis

but since submitting it I've heard nothing from them in response to several e-mails. It's too bad because I was quite impressed with how quickly they resolved the engine issue.

I'm sure I'll eventually get my money. It's not a huge sum (~$250.00) and I'm fortunate in that I can afford to wait for it, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of their products.
I'd call daily ( have Case# ) until they're sick of me and until I got an answer on Pay Status. Too many reasons your Proof lost, misplaced, emails among 10,000, etc.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I'd give an update. The car was authorized to have a new engine installed last Thursday 12/12 (1:30 PM) and the dealership called yesterday (Thursday 12/19 2 pm) that the car was ready for pickup, one week almost to the hour.

Everything seems fine, but too cold to do a close inspection. The rental was a 2020 Kia Niro Hybrid, not my cup of tea, but the 560 miles that was put on the car used 12.4 gal, 45 mpg $31. What a difference in that with the Optima 2.0T, the cost would have been @ $56, or @ $780 more p/yr, but it's worth the difference.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
Turbonut, super glad you got your new engine!

On my long-block engine replacement in Dec '18 due to the "rod knock of death" (even after excellent maintenance), only issue I had was that a boost clamp at my intercooler was loose and I had a boost leak after a bit. Easy fix. They even moved over all my mods for free.

They had my car for about 10 days and gave me a 2019 Optima as my "rental" from the dealership (2.4L). Once I got through the ~400 mile break-in period, I changed my oil and got my ECU updated back with the LAP3USA Stage 1.5+ tune since they "updated" my ECU at the dealership for the forever warranty (limp home fix). Strong as an ox now and runs like a bat out of hades when I get on her! I'm a very happy camper!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Yes, been keeping track of your progress with the old & new engine, and only difference I noticed is that at idle the rpm's were slightly lower and not smooth, but now with 300+ miles, the car is back to normal. Would assume the ecu needed to be learned after the battery being disconnected for a period of time. Have run into this on other cars and sometimes it might take almost a week before everything returned to normal.

As I'm old school, haven't exercised the engine at all, but seems to run great and after the week of the under-powered loaner, at a stop, hit the pedal a little too hard and the people in the car had whip lash, so can't imagine how the car would feel with the additional 50HP, or how to keep the tires from burning up with FWD. Even with wider tires and the stock engine I could break the tires loose at a standstill if pressed too hard. Our Mazda, naturally being RWD, having tires that are 4 sizes wider helps with traction, but with the FWD the car would look ridiculous with exceptionally wide tires.

So far so good, and I'm a happy camper once again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts