Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my wife's 2016 seems to be getting worse and worse with the adaptive cruise control. The issue is anything to the right of the car, either traffic in the right lane, or a car in the turn lane, seem to trigger it to slow down, sometimes rather harshly! Cars on the left don't seem to cause the same issue.

Is anyone else seeing this? We've asked the dealer and they don't have any suggestions. Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
I hardly ever use it, but last time I tried it worked fine. Did you get your windshield replaced by any chance? That'd explain it, since the system needs to be recalibrated, and probably wasn't done right (glass replacement shops don't have the same equipment as a dealer). Similarly, even a small hit in front could have moved the sensor slightly, with the same effect. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hardly ever use it, but last time I tried it worked fine. Did you get your windshield replaced by any chance? That'd explain it, since the system needs to be recalibrated, and probably wasn't done right (glass replacement shops don't have the same equipment as a dealer). Similarly, even a small hit in front could have moved the sensor slightly, with the same effect. Hope this helps.
I thought this system relied on the sonar sensor below the front bumper? I didn't know there was anything in/behind the windshield? However, we haven't had the windshield replaced? And as far as I know, my wife hasn't hit anything on the front end? I'll have to take a closer at that tonight when she gets home.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
It supposedly uses both the radar unit on the bumper and the windshield camera shared with lane departure. Everything is tied together nowadays. That's why I added $0 glass coverage to my policy, since all my vehicles have all the electronic safety crap, plus panoramic glass roofs. Such windshields are like a grand, PLUS cost of recalibrating the systems. And pano moonroofs even worse.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that the front-view camera that's mounted on the windshield is used (only) for the LDWS; if you think about it from a practical standpoint, cruise control doesn't care who's on either side of you since after all the purpose of cruise control is to maintain a set speed (or in the case of adaptive CC, a relative set distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you) without the need for you to use the gas pedal to maintain a fixed speed. It would seem to me that something is whack with the bumper radar sensor, although I'm guessing that when you took it to the dealer they told you that the sensor passed all of their diagnostic checks? Have you also played around with the vehicle-to-vehicle distance setting (there are 4 distance settings to choose from) and/or the SCC sensitivity setting (Slow/Normal/Fast) to see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
That's why I added $0 glass coverage to my policy, since all my vehicles have all the electronic safety crap, plus panoramic glass roofs. Such windshields are like a grand, PLUS cost of recalibrating the systems. And pano moonroofs even worse.
LOL yup I added $0 deductible glass coverage as well for my Optima--came in handy earlier this year when my windshield cracked; it would have cost me almost $900 (and that amount is for a non-OEM windshield, which in retrospect I kind of regret not paying the extra premium for OEM replacement part coverage) if I didn't have any coverage at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a very similar issue. The cruise is basically useless in ANY kind of windy roads. Car will slam on the brakes if there is even a slight curve and ther is a vehicle in the right lane...
Is it even possible to turn the adaptive part off so it works like a regular cruise?

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
81 Posts
I have a very similar issue. The cruise is basically useless in ANY kind of windy roads. Car will slam on the brakes if there is even a slight curve and ther is a vehicle in the right lane...
Is it even possible to turn the adaptive part off so it works like a regular cruise?
You can switch to regular Cruise Control (at least on 2019s). Turn on Cruise Control and then press & hold the Distance switch for at least 2 seconds and then choose between Smart Cruise Control and regular Cruise Control. This is not a retained setting, it will only last for the current cruise control cycle.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
Yeah I have found that the ACC can be hit-or-miss on curves; case in point--there is this one transition curve freeway on-ramp on my commute where I hit it while my ACC is set to 70 mph, then watch as the ACC bleeds off speed (down to 65 or so) even though there are no vehicles in front of me either in my lane or in the adjacent lane. Yes the owner's manual does inform you about the effectiveness of ACC when on curves, but get this--when the ACC slowed my car down on a curve like what I described earlier, the ACC display on the instrument cluster is indicating that there are NO cars/objects in front of me. Go figure...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.