Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 K5
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I had a quick question when I step on the gas sometimes there is a hesitation in my acceleration I take my foot off the gas in step on it again and then it will go I was wondering what kind of problem this is???? I just had the steering coupling replaced and now I'm having this problem I was wondering if there is any relation in the two?? Thank you for any kind of help or info on this problem

·
Registered
571 Posts
Maybe what you're feeling is the time it takes for the turbo to spool up before it starts boosting. A tune helps this a lot by diminishing that lag.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
219 Posts
Maybe what you're feeling is the time it takes for the turbo to spool up before it starts boosting. A tune helps this a lot by diminishing that lag.
Xterra808 nailed it on the head. These cars are built with a twin scroll turbo to help alleviate lag but it's almost inevitable. But a proper tune almost gets rid of it entirely. I would say unrelated to the steering coupler

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,660 Posts
Hey everybody, I had a quick question when I step on the gas sometimes there is a hesitation in my acceleration I take my foot off the gas in step on it again and then it will go I was wondering what kind of problem this is???? I just had the steering coupling replaced and now I'm having this problem I was wondering if there is any relation in the two?? Thank you for any kind of help or info on this problem
If you did not notice the lag before, then "maybe" the battery was disconnected when the steering repair was done and the car transmission shift logic has the relearn your driving patterns again.

Hopefully the lag will go away when you drive the car more.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
22 Posts
If you did not notice the lag before, then "maybe" the battery was disconnected when the steering repair was done and the car transmission shift logic has the relearn your driving patterns again.

Hopefully the lag will go away when you drive the car more.
Personally I'd have to agree with carguy. Though Kyle and iLLMannered are correct turbos and drive by wire introduce a perceived lag in response, if you didn't notice this lag before or it wasn't as bad, my thinking would be that as carguy said, perhaps the battery was disconnected and the transmission shift logic has to relearn your driving patterns.

Hopefully it'll smooth out over the next few days, but since I'm pretty new to Kia's I'd be interested in hearing if this problem doesn't resolve itself and continues to persist :)

In either case, I hope all goes well and she returns to responding the way you remember if not being even better!
- Praxis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got back from dealership with same issue, was a 6 dollar plastic disc on the brake pedal. My 2012 optima developed a small hole in the disk that interfaces with a brake sensor. Car was confused if brake was on, off, etc as you hit the accelerator. Noticed that my brake lights were on my be day when parked, turned the car on and off and brake lights reset, must have been when I hit the brake to start the car. anyway if you can save 100 buck for this tiny plastic part it is worth getting a flashlight out, a penny and some black tape to fix it. Cheers and hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
693 Posts
Just got back from dealership with same issue, was a 6 dollar plastic disc on the brake pedal. My 2012 optima developed a small hole in the disk that interfaces with a brake sensor. Car was confused if brake was on, off, etc as you hit the accelerator. Noticed that my brake lights were on my be day when parked, turned the car on and off and brake lights reset, must have been when I hit the brake to start the car. anyway if you can save 100 buck for this tiny plastic part it is worth getting a flashlight out, a penny and some black tape to fix it. Cheers and hope this helps someone.
Clk on my Jpg in Post #16 in Thread below; Those of you with Rubber Disks have the potential for them to disintegrate over time and cause these issues (hard plastic shown may have been a TSA or at least a Warranty Repl).. Contort yourself in the driver floor and look up to see what you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.