Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Kia optima lx..109,000. No lights shown on dash at anytime. When I drive for a bit and stop at ref light and proceed to go on green it hesitates sometimes not all the time. Every once in awhile it will proceed with a clicking sound let off gas pedal and does ok but it will happen again a few miles later. Kia can't diagnosis without check engine light cause it will not read anything without it on...anyone else having this problem and found out what it was? So I can try to pinpoint it on my car. Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,899 Posts
Sorry, no conrete answer, but the correct way would be to use a real time diagnostic unit plugged into the OBDII port and analyze the data to see if anything out of range.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
683 Posts
Kia can't diagnosis without check engine light cause it will not read anything without it on...
I never understood this line of reasoning/response from Kia; what if you took your car to the dealer to report excessive oil consumption or that the coolant level slowly keeps dropping despite the absence of any noticeable coolant leaks? Surely Kia wouldn't tell you that they can't diagnose an oil or coolant consumption issue without a check engine light...or would they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never understood this line of reasoning/response from Kia; what if you took your car to the dealer to report excessive oil consumption or that the coolant level slowly keeps dropping despite the absence of any noticeable coolant leaks? Surely Kia wouldn't tell you that they can't diagnose an oil or coolant consumption issue without a check engine light...or would they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they have and yes they did,... Went last summer to tell them I had a hard knock sound in engine..of course it never happens when you take it in so I reaored it....still no check engine light ....one service guy told me if it got on my nerves that much to turn Up the radio!! I just left...I guess once this warranty goes out oh well to the customer...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes they have and yes they did,... Went last summer to tell them I had a hard knock sound in engine..of course it never happens when you take it in so I reaored it....still no check engine light ....one service guy told me if it got on my nerves that much to turn Up the radio!! I just left...I guess once this warranty goes out oh well to the customer...
Hi Patricia.
I have a 2014 sx and had that same weird power loss issues. Usually the car had no power after a stop sign. God knows how much time I ve wasted going to the dealer for nothing because they were not able to replicate and I had no ECU light on the dashboard.
The issue was very unpredictable. I went through all the forum to find something but I always ended up going to the same point : turbocharger rod adjustment. This wasn't the issue.
Finally I went to a test ride and decided to apply a little bit of brake while accelerating and guess what?!! I manage to replicate the exact same issue!!

Ok here is the explanation: when you press the brake pedal hard (but not crazy hard) then release it and pay attention to the brake lights. You'll notice that, because of the slow returning pedal, the brake lights will come off with a little delay! This is because the pedal is slow to press the brake switch located under the steering column.
I real world experience, if you release the brake pedal and hit the throttle right away your car will be in limp mode until you release the throttle completely because it thinks that you are braking while pressing on the gas pedal and this even if the brake pedal is completely returned. Within the second, if the gas pedal is pressed while the brake pedal is almost returned but not fully where the switch is not pressed, the system keep the information as is until the next change...when you depress the gas pedal while the brake switch is indeed pressed!!!!

Solution : here is the adjustment specified by Kia : I can't post it for my first time. As I just signed to the forum.
I put the " stop lamp clearance" to 0mm so that the brake pedal press on the switch earlier. Since then I don't have any power loss issues.
As a side note. I also read that Optima prior to 2013 are prone to brake switch issues because the plastic pad on the pedal side worn out and the switch is never pressed which is also causing problems such as : failing to start ( for start button equipped )
Battery drain because the brake lights won't turn off even with the engine off
Annnnnnnd power loss for all versions, turbocharged or not!

I really hope this will help you and the others!!!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts