Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2013 optima and last year and starting this year the ac dosent start cooling until the car is about 6-8 miles away from home the it comes on and cools fine, after church can drive 1 1/2 to walmart it dosent cool, but leave walmart drive 5-6 miles ac comes on and cools fine. when i take lunch and sit in car it also take forever to start blowing cool are but when it starts it does fine...any ideas low freon or pressure switch or what

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,029 Posts
I'd venture to say that the electronic control valve at the back of the compressor is going bad. These variable displacement compressors, as well as the valve, sorry to say, nothing but junk. My '11 2.0T, I replaced the valve at 118k miles, again at 187k miles, and late last year, it started acting up once again at 219k miles.

The valve can be replaced w/o a new compressor, but as I have found, they will do the job, but fail frequently. Difference in cost is substantial as the valve ($50) can be replaced @ $200, compared to an entire compressor, 4 or 5 times that much, depending on the shop doing the job. Friends took their '13 to the dealership, diagnosed as a bad compressor as they don't replace just the valve, they do the entire compressor, $1200.

What I've found is that in time it gets worse until one day it doesn't cool at all. Back in 2015 I kept putting it off as it would cool fine after driving a while, but one day, the wife & I were out shopping, cooled fine maybe 2-3 miles after leaving house, cooled fine after leaving restaurant, but after a short stop at Walmart, no cooling at all. We drove 20 minutes home , 95 degree heat and the wife said it's the last time she'll step foot in the car until the A/C is fixed. The valve was replaced the next day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ask around your circles, sometimes there are ASE certified folks that do work on the side or just plain always work for themselves from home. Finding a good one of those is like Gold...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts