Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2018 kia optima sx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recently moved from west to east cost and had an issue with AC driving in high temperature and high humidity weather. It was 90 degree and 80% humidity and after driving 1 hour the AC started to be noisy and vents stopped blow any air. There was no hot or cold air from any vents in the car but the vents were spinning. I turned the AC off for 5-10 minutes and turned on, it worked after that for 5 minutes and stopped blow any air again. The AC started working on the next day and works fine so far. Took the car to the service, and they had no idea what could it be. Has anyone had a similar issue or have any idea what could it be? Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
I've seen car A/C freeze under certain conditions, and once gone no future problems. Usually low airflow over the evap, or using recirculation can cause ice to form and it can continue to the engine compartment and form ice on the hose, so just make certain the cabin air filter is clean.

However, in the Kia there is an evaporator temperature sensor that is to ensure that the evap doesn't freeze and should cut the output of the compressor. You can access the temp sensor easily by just removing the passenger side under cover, disconnect the sensor and check with a MM-resistance. The resistance changes with evap temp, example 70 degrees F, 12.11Resistance[KΩ]. The sensor lists for $28, so if the test fails not too expensive, if that's the problem.

Just a quick example. Many, and I mean many years ago, purchased a '79 RX Limited that for some reason had a problem with the A/C system and half of it was missing, but price was right, so purchased the car. Installed the missing parts, charged, and went for a ride, but after maybe 30 minutes I had frost blowing out the vents, back to the garage and installed an evap temp sensor that would cut out the compressor before the evap started to freeze. Never another problem and sold the car 5 years later.

I know, long winded, but it's early and even the Golden-doodle is sleeping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts