Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Owned my new to me Optima EX about 5 months so far so good. 30,000 miles. I have been doing some maintenance on it.

New Tires
2 oil changes so far Redline 5-30 factory filter.
New Wet Okole Seat covers
New dark tint

On to ac maintenance:

Noticed my ac started to smell a little funky. Time for the evap cleaner.

First make sure the front ac condenser coil is clean. This car its a little difficult to see the front of the condenser with the hood open but its what you see when you look through the grill. make sure that's clean and bug free. Hose it down with the Blue can cleaner in the picture. Don't need to rinse it off unless alot of bugs. Then I bought 2 cans of KOOL IT off ebay and took it to my local garage. There great they only charged me $20 to put it on the lift. You need to get to the condensation drip hose that's comes out of the evap coil box under the dash. This is the hose that drips water on the ground when ac is on. The hose on this car is the easiest hose to get too in the last 15 cars I have owned. Its hanging down prominently mid engine little black hose. Think directly under the mid dash. Cant miss it.

You attach the special connection tube that comes with the Kool It to that drain hose and you shoot the whole pressurized can of microbial cleaner foam up the hose. It then fills the e box and comes back down as liquid.

Glad I did. It dripped back out as very brown water. Second can the water was clear. AC smells very nice now.

I highly recommend this cleaning. This is a maintenance item. keeps ebox form mold and keeps the drip hose clear.

Amazon used to sell Kool It but I cant find it anymore had to get it off ebay. Just got 2 cans off this seller:

Amazon.com: Here's a picture of the spray foam cleaner for the front condenser with its really cool fin comb that will do an excellent job of getting all the dirt out of the coil. Hose it down with cleaner. Do one vertical pass with comb. Rinse all the dirt out of the comb and do another pass. Works excellent.
Great for you home ac condenser. Take the panels off the sides of the home condenser unit and go to town. Your compressor will thank you. AC will run much cooler in your house. Just did my home unit.

+

The blue can is evap coil spray foam cleaner with a special fin comb. Amazon.com

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Good to know it works.

In all my years and vehicles I've never had a foul smelling a/c or even a clogged drain pipe, lucky i guess. But even so, cleaning them would seem to make them more efficient, can't hurt.

I would like to add a cabin filter to one vehicle I still own that did not come with one from factory, 2001 4runner.
If anyone has one and wants to add here's how (post 10): Toyota-4Runner.org

Luck all.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Newer cars are way more susceptable to stink cheaper materials in the coil and smaller evap coils tend to clog up faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts