Kia Optima Forums banner

ABS/Traction Control Sensor

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jessetoronto@gmail.com 
#1 ·
OK, so after 6+ months I am finally getting around to fixing my ABS/Traction Control Sensor. I have the sensor completely off except for where it plugs in by the hub assembly. Does anyone know what position the sensor has to be in for it to come out? It looks like it is has tabs that slide in and then it spins and locks in place. I can get it to about 7 o'clock going counterclockwise and about 2 o'clock going clockwise, but neither seems to catch the spot so it can be pulled out. The clockwise it hitting something so I am sure it needs to go CC, just don't want to force it and break something if it can be pulled out at 9 or 10.

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Just curious you didn't have any others problems with the sensor removed? My front right sensor rubbed against the wheel and exposed the metal. I order the part and am waiting for it to come but since then my steering control light came on and check engine light came on as well as the expected stability control and abs light. You didn't experience the steering control light and check engine? My thought for the check engine light is because it thinks I'm losing tracking and when you let off the gas I can feel the motor getting cut off to regain traction so it's thinking something's wrong. And for the steering, since when the abs lights and stability control came on the steering went lose. Now with the steering light on it is Stiffer steering. My thought was the check engine and steering light were just causes from the sensor being messed up. Did you experience any of this?

#3 ·
No Issues like that, it fact I could spin the tires and it wouldn't even hiccup but mine was in the back. I actually fixed it once by splicing the 2 wires and didn't need to order a new one. Eventually it ate through that too so I just cut it off where it attached. I was able to get the old one out by prying it straight out with a screwdriver, no need to spin it at all once the bolt is out. Just started the car and no more lights! Now to put it all back together.

#5 ·
Yeah, there is a single bolt that holds it in. Once the bolt is removed it spins but would not come out. I just lined it back up with the hole and slowly pried it out with a screwdriver, it came out slowly, it's sealed to keep water out and I think that's why it was so tight.

The sensor connects behind the passenger seat and the cover between the seat and the trunk. The one I bought was slightly different than the original one as far as the brackets to attach it and was a royal pain to put back on. Took me a while and made me feel much older than I am. A little sore this morning...

#6 ·
Yeah, there is a single bolt that holds it in. Once the bolt is removed it spins but would not come out. I just lined it back up with the hole and slowly pried it out with a screwdriver, it came out slowly, it's sealed to keep water out and I think that's why it was so tight.

The sensor connects behind the passenger seat and the cover between the seat and the trunk. The one I bought was slightly different than the original one as far as the brackets to attach it and was a royal pain to put back on. Took me a while and made me feel much older than I am. A little sore this morning...
I am in the process of swapping my right rear sensor on my 2013. Exactly how do you access the other end of the sensor? It goes through the rubber grommet into the frame and I looked in the trunk and behind passenger seat for where it would come out and couldn't find it. Sounds like you have played around with this before. Any insight in helping would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.