1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a wild bit of inspiration:

Active Aerobraking

How hard would it be to replace the C Pillar mini windows with a pair of actuated air brakes?

Essentially, a flap of metal with holes in it resembling the C Pillar window garnish, but when you press the brakes at speeds above 30mph, it actuates outwards 80 degrees, and retracts once the brake pedal is released.

Would it even work? Could it provide helpful braking?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Probably you could test it by holding a piece of wood of the same size and shape out the window, and see how it affects your deceleration. But proper testing would mean you perform a test with no wood to see how the car naturally decelerates, like you drive in a parking lot at 30 mph and let off the gas when you pass a certain point, and see how far you coast naturally before the car hits 20 mph. Then repeat using the wood, and see how far the car coasts.

But I'm guessing it will be a small difference, too small to notice compared to just random variation. The car is just too heavy compared to the wind resistance at lower speeds. It would look pretty cool though, to have the automatic actuators. You could probably wire it to trigger off the brake line, but I'm not sure how you'd also monitor the speed, probably need to interface with the Torque app or something?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was going to do this mod, I'd probably go for triggering it whenever the 3rd brake light lit up, using a similar relay setup to an aftermarket horn system. It would function regardless of speed, but adding in that type of functionality would be a bit much, since the central controller would require some form of accelerometer or other sensor. If we're making it that complex, may as well also add in the ability to make the inner side flap extend while turning as well.

I'd actuate the flaps with a fast linear actuator, just to ensure the panel wouldn't jam in the extended position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts