Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just to clarify--when I stated that Costco is the *cheapest* gas in my local area, by "cheapest" I did not mean "lowest quality" but rather, lowest-priced. And I would not knock anyone who would rather prefer using Shell or Chevron despite Costco having Top Tier gas; I'd choose Shell over say, Rotten Robbie if there's no Costco around.

Having said that--IMHO Shell and Chevron gas is not *that* much better than Costco gas that I'd be willing to pay another >30 cents/gallon more (in my area) for it; yes, one can argue that you're actually paying more for Costco gas since you have to be a Costco member but I'm pretty sure that folks don't purchase a Costco membership solely so that they can take advantage of the low Costco gas prices, thus the membership caveat is a non-issue--plus if you have a Citibank Costco card you can get 4% back on gas anyways...but I digress.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wow, so Costco must be pretty decent, and I'm sure it's a good price. Too bad there isn't one near me.
Indeed--my local Costco gas station is hella busy/crowded; queue lines can get to be 2-3 cars deep for all pump lanes during the day--and this is even after my local Costco added six more pumps) compared to the 76 and Chevron stations that are located in the opposite corners of the same intersection where Costco is at. Think about it--people are willing to wait in line for Costco gas rather than go to the Chevron across the street where there is NO wait at all. And if one were to try to argue that people are willing to pump Costco gas because it's low-priced gas--well I've been to my local Sam's Club and their gas station does not get nearly the same amount of traffic compared to Costco's gas station, so low price clearly isn't the only factor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
...And if one were to try to argue that people are willing to pump Costco gas because it's low-priced gas--well I've been to my local Sam's Club and their gas station does not get nearly the same amount of traffic compared to Costco's gas station, so low price clearly isn't the only factor.
I buy Costco gas because it's Top Tier and 20-30 cents/gallon cheaper than most all other stations in the area. To avoid the long lines, I go when they first open (M-F: 5:30AM, Sa,Su: 6:00AM). If Sam's Club offered Top Tier gas they would get my business.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just to clarify--when I stated that Costco is the *cheapest* gas in my local area, by "cheapest" I did not mean "lowest quality" but rather, lowest-priced. And I would not knock anyone who would rather prefer using Shell or Chevron despite Costco having Top Tier gas; I'd choose Shell over say, Rotten Robbie if there's no Costco around.

Having said that--IMHO Shell and Chevron gas is not *that* much better than Costco gas that I'd be willing to pay another >30 cents/gallon more (in my area) for it; yes, one can argue that you're actually paying more for Costco gas since you have to be a Costco member but I'm pretty sure that folks don't purchase a Costco membership solely so that they can take advantage of the low Costco gas prices, thus the membership caveat is a non-issue--plus if you have a Citibank Costco card you can get 4% back on gas anyways...but I digress.
Wow, you raised so many great points in that post.

I'm not a Costco member, so that specific gas is a no-go for me. But generally speaking...

I should be careful how I throw around the phrase "cheap gas." I should be more specific and use phrases like "low quality," "top-tier," "expensive," and "inexpensive." "Cheap" is too vague of a word and has too many meanings. It's not helpful in such conversations, and I need to be careful about that.

And an even bigger point when you said that it's not worth it to you to pay 30 cents/gallon more to buy a big-brand gasoline that may be marginally better, if at all. It makes me wonder what my true goals are. When I'm asking how to get the best gas mileage, I'm talking specifically about raising the mpg number. A success, as I have defined it, would be raising my mpg from 30 to 32. But really, if that means I'm paying more per gallon to get this gas instead of that gas, then you could argue that I've succeeded in my mission but hurt my wallet in the process. Perhaps 29mpg with an inexpensive gas would be better than 32mpg with an expensive gas. I'll still do my brand experiments, but I'll try to keep that in mind. Maybe the least expensive top-tier gas is a wiser choice than the gas that gives me the best mpg.

And I'm getting off on a tangent anyway with this brand-name business. I believe it might be important, but gas mileage has just as much to do with habits and driving modes. I plan to experiment with those as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just checked our fuel mileage yesterday. My wife is geting 22 mpg in her 2019 Kia LX. She has a little over 600 miles on it now. Her driving is 100% town driving, to stores, church, and back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
16 Optima LX 1.6T, 7-speed DCT transmission, 16 mile trip to work, about 3.5 miles of highway, the rest 40 mph roads with stop lights. Averaged about 30-32 mpg. Flat Interstate at 65-70 mph, no traffic, no hills, 41 - 42 mpg. Big difference! Sitting at stop lights watching your mpg drop, makes sense those hybrids do better by not running while sitting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
16 Optima LX 1.6T, 7-speed DCT transmission, 16 mile trip to work, about 3.5 miles of highway, the rest 40 mph roads with stop lights. Averaged about 30-32 mpg. Flat Interstate at 65-70 mph, no traffic, no hills, 41 - 42 mpg. Big difference! Sitting at stop lights watching your mpg drop, makes sense those hybrids do better by not running while sitting.
Wow! That's really good. Are you doing anything special to get that kind of mileage? Do you have any preferred gas or driving techniques? Do you use ECO mode, if that's a feature on your car?

Oh, and do you just use the built-in trip computer to judge your mileage, or are you manually calculating it? I've read that some people don't trust the computer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just checked our fuel mileage yesterday. My wife is geting 22 mpg in her 2019 Kia LX. She has a little over 600 miles on it now. Her driving is 100% town driving, to stores, church, and back.
That seems like a reasonable real-life city mpg IMHO, given the engine in your wife's Kia--I typically get around 23-24 mpg between fillups in my 2018 SXL (2.0T) with a mix of 90/10 city/hwy driving (work commute), and higher mpg during those times when the driving mix skews the other way.

FWIW--I've been tracking my fuel costs/mileage meticulously, and I can say that since I've owned my SXL my overall fuel economy to date (since 2/2018) is currently 26.7 mpg with 19.9K miles. How meticulously, you might ask? Well I can also tell you that I've spent $2357 on gas so far on my SXL...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That seems like a reasonable real-life city mpg IMHO, given the engine in your wife's Kia--I typically get around 23-24 mpg between fillups in my 2018 SXL (2.0T) with a mix of 90/10 city/hwy driving (work commute), and higher mpg during those times when the driving mix skews the other way.

FWIW--I've been tracking my fuel costs/mileage meticulously, and I can say that since I've owned my SXL my overall fuel economy to date (since 2/2018) is currently 26.7 mpg with 19.9K miles. How meticulously, you might ask? Well I can also tell you that I've spent $2357 on gas so far on my SXL...
I love the effort and attention to detail! How do you track it? Do you have an app, or a pencil and paper? And do you trust the mileage numbers on the car's screen, or do you do your own calculations?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 17 hybrid did not really like it. it was my 6th Optima so i got the 19 EX with the 1.6 turbo and it is awesome i really did not save with the hybrid the EX get good enough gas mileage and much more power

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had a 17 hybrid did not really like it. it was my 6th Optima so i got the 19 EX with the 1.6 turbo and it is awesome i really did not save with the hybrid the EX get good enough gas mileage and much more power
We didn't even consider the hybrid. Combustion engines are so efficient these days, it doesn't seem worthwhile to put the money into a hybrid.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I love the effort and attention to detail! How do you track it? Do you have an app, or a pencil and paper? And do you trust the mileage numbers on the car's screen, or do you do your own calculations?
I use an app called Road Trip (iOS only, no Android version but I reckon there are plenty of similar apps available for Android users--however I don't know of any to recommend since I'm an iPhone user--LOL), to track my fuel/mileage costs (the app can be used to track other vehicle costs (e.g., maintenance/service but I use it mainly for tracking fuel/mileage). It can also calculate/track cost per mile, cost per day, gallons pumped, break down the numbers over a monthly/yearly/custom time period, separate costs and miles based on gas grade used, and you can back up your data either as a CSV-format data file and/or sync with Dropbox.

I do my own calculations (via the Road Trip app, that is)--I find that the fuel economy calculations shown on the vehicle display reads ~1 mpg higher than actual.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We didn't even consider the hybrid. Combustion engines are so efficient these days, it doesn't seem worthwhile to put the money into a hybrid.
LOL I was considering the Optima PHEV when I was shopping for an Optima last year but the combination of being quoted a really great price on a 2018 SXL (meaning, the price difference between the SXL and the PHEV was too great for my budget) plus the PHEV didn't have the Surround View Monitor option made me go with the SXL.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My first experiment yesterday. Here are the details:

Model: 2019 Optima EX (1.6T)
Odometer: 525
Brand of Gas: BP
Air Conditioner: On all the time
Sunroof and windows: Closed
Cruise Control: On, nearly all the time, set to the speed limit
Drive Mode: Smart, though Cruise Control seemed to keep it in Smart-Comfort
Distance: 20.8 miles
Interstate driving: 17.3 miles
Non-interstate driving: 3.5 miles
Average mileage, according to the trip computer (reset just before beginning the drive): 35.5mpg
Impressions: I'm happy with this! I saw the average get up to 37.0 before I got off interstate. I bet if it was purely interstate driving, I'd average above 37.0. Not bad for a first attempt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm seriously looking at this engine with the ex. Did a ton of research on the dct and it seems it would be fine for my application. I drive enough that the fuel savings should more than pay for any additional maintenance down the road.

Wondering if you ever had the high transmission heat warning pop up in everyday driving? It's not like I'm going to tow anything but I do sit in stop and go commute traffic quite frequently. Umm more like every time I drive 🤣

Average mileage, according to the trip computer (reset just before beginning the drive): 35.5mpg
Impressions: I'm happy with this! I saw the average get up to 37.0 before I got off interstate. I bet if it was purely interstate driving, I'd average above 37.0. Not bad for a first attempt.

·
Registered
502 Posts

That's great! Curious though--exactly what speed did you set the cruise control to, and what was the average overall mph reported by the trip computer at the end of your test?

Yeah you should be able to achieve even better numbers on longer drives where most of the driving is highway; I say this because in my 2.0T on one of my drives I got 34 mpg on a 183 mile trip on mostly highway driving while maintaining (for the most part) a speed of ~72 mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm seriously looking at this engine with the ex. Did a ton of research on the dct and it seems it would be fine for my application. I drive enough that the fuel savings should more than pay for any additional maintenance down the road.

Wondering if you ever had the high transmission heat warning pop up in everyday driving? It's not like I'm going to tow anything but I do sit in stop and go commute traffic quite frequently. Umm more like every time I drive 🤣
I like this engine so far. I haven't had any heat warnings. The only problem (characteristic, I guess) of the transmission that I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's great! Curious though--exactly what speed did you set the cruise control to, and what was the average overall mph reported by the trip computer at the end of your test?

Yeah you should be able to achieve even better numbers on longer drives where most of the driving is highway; I say this because in my 2.0T on one of my drives I got 34 mpg on a 183 mile trip on mostly highway driving while maintaining (for the most part) a speed of ~72 mph.
Just from memory, I'm not sure the trip computer tells me an average speed. It does give me a total time and a total distance, though. But I forgot to look at that, so I can't even reverse-engineer the speed. :-(

But I can say that I set Cruise Control to 65mph on the entire interstate portion of the trip. On the short stretch before interstate, it was stop-and-go traffic. And on the short stretch after interstate, I was behind a very slow dump truck that I wanted desperately to get around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow it rolls back on hills? Yeah autohold is pretty awesome. We just bought my wife a 2019 ex Sorrento and it has lost the latest saftey and convenience features. I was looking at the 19 optima ex (I have a 13 sx with 100k). But the dct got me super worried as I looked at it more.

The manual says you need to have the dct transmission fluid inspected every 45k miles. That sounds super annoying. What are your plans for that inspection? Are you planning to have the fluid replaced? And how long do you plan to keep the car? I usually keep my cars at least 100k. Try to keep them for 120k if I can stand it. I've also heard horror stories about repair and replacement costs. It does seem Kia is rolling out a bit of a r&d car here with that dct. I'd frankly rather just have a traditional 8 speed transmission at this point.

Thanks for your feedback!

I like this engine so far. I haven't had any heat warnings. The only problem (characteristic, I guess) of the transmission that I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.

·
Registered
502 Posts
...I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.
I'm guess that the reason why it's not default-on is because Auto Hold works by applying the electronic parking brake and if you manually engage the EPB (e.g., when parking on a hill/slope) it wouldn't make sense for Auto Hold to be on since you intend for the EPB to be applied for more than a brief amount of time.

Speaking of Auto Hold--although it does come in handy while sitting on a hill or slope, it's more typically used in situations where you're stopped for an indeterminate but somewhat brief amount of time--e.g., waiting in a long line of cars while going through a drive-thru restaurant. For roll back concerns I believe our Optimas have Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) to take care of that--it works by applying the brakes automatically (while on a steep hill), releasing the brakes when the gas pedal is pressed or after about 2 seconds; if your car has it and you think it's not working correctly, then I suggest having a mechanic take a look at it. Note also that the owner's manual states that HAC does not replace the need to apply brakes (i.e.., press the brake pedal) while stopped on an incline.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
22 Participants
ski5804
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing