Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone.

I've just bought my 2019 Kia Optima Ex with the 1.6L turbo engine. It's rated 27/37mpg. So far, with about 300 miles on the odometer, half of which is highway, I'm averaging 30mpg. Driving with the sunroof open is probably making things worse.

I hadn't seen any recent posts about gas mileage, so I figured it might be time to renew the topic.

What have you done to increase your mileage? Is there a certain brand of gas that seems to do better than others?

Also, regarding driving modes, mine has Comfort, Sport, and Smart. We all know what Sport is, and Comfort, though not defined in the manual, is probably somewhat the opposite of Sport, and should give better mileage. Smart is supposed to intelligently switch between the two, depending on circumstances. Has anyone noticed if Comfort has better mpg than Smart, or vice versa?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For mixed driving the 1.6l is only rated for 31 mpg. So after you break it in around 1000 miles you will probably increase a bit. I'm only getting 22-23mpg in my 2013 sx 2.0 turbo. So I'd be pretty happy with 30. Lol!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the 17 optima hybrid, which is rated 39/42/46 (city/combine/highway). This year they changed the label to (39/41/45), same car actually..... My commute is short and have combined traffic, with little bit more of city traffic. I am getting only 32 in winter, and 39-40 for now. So it's pretty general case to underachieve.

The EPA rated MPG usually will require you to drive in constant speed, ideal start/stop situations, no radio, no AC, no fans, no winds, no headlights, no surprises, no sudden red lights, no a**hole drivers on the road, etc etc. So you'll never get that MPG in real world.

Regarding what mode gives best MPG, I think keeping the default mode will get you the best MPG.

Based on what you have described, you are doing fine for the MPG you get. Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement. But I'm sure someone out there must have experimented before, and not just been happy to take what they get. I know on previous cars that I've owned, the brand of gas made a difference. I'll hold out hope that someone who has experimented will chime in here. And I'll plan to do some experiments of my own. Thanks again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Due to ethanol blending most of the gasoline comes from the same tanker trucks now. I highly doubt you will see any differences from different gas stations. Like others have said the EPA mpgs are rated during ideal conditions. Modern vehicles are so heavy even elevation changes will result in massively lower mpgs. You might have wanted to purchase a 1985 Honda civic vs a modern automobile. You are probably even using ac or heat with the auto heating and cooling and you don't even realize it. Epa uses no heating or cooling and close the windows.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement. But I'm sure someone out there must have experimented before, and not just been happy to take what they get. I know on previous cars that I've owned, the brand of gas made a difference. I'll hold out hope that someone who has experimented will chime in here. And I'll plan to do some experiments of my own. Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Due to ethanol blending most of the gasoline comes from the same tanker trucks now. I highly doubt you will see any differences from different gas stations. Like others have said the EPA mpgs are rated during ideal conditions. Modern vehicles are so heavy even elevation changes will result in massively lower mpgs. You might have wanted to purchase a 1985 Honda civic vs a modern automobile. You are probably even using ac or heat with the auto heating and cooling and you don't even realize it. Epa uses no heating or cooling and close the windows.
Thanks, Freetree.

Yeah, my goal isn't to match or exceed the EPA rating. I just want to get the mileage I can get. I'll do some experiments and report back here.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2018 EX with 2.4l getting 32.5MPG combined (probably a little more hwy than city, but sometimes that hwy is stop and go traffic). I keep the mode set to ECO all the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2018 EX with 2.4l getting 32.5MPG combined (probably a little more hwy than city, but sometimes that hwy is stop and go traffic). I keep the mode set to ECO all the time.
rpoffen, 32.5 seems really good! And that is very helpful to know about the ECO mode. Mine doesn't have ECO. It only has Comfort, Sport, and Smart. Smart switches back and forth between Comfort and Smart, depending on how hard you're pressing the gas pedal. I was playing with that yesterday. There's a certain mode for the screen behind the steering wheel. It will tell you which driving style you're in, and I found that when you're in Smart, it puts a gauge up there with "economic" on the left and "aggressive" on the right, and above that, it will say either "Smart - Comfort" or "Smart - Sport" depending on how you're driving. When it's in "Smart - Comfort" mode, the gauge is on the economic end, and when you're in "Smart - Sport", it's on the aggressive end. I had already thought that Comfort was probably similar to ECO, and this confirms it. So if I keep it in Comfort mode, I'll have my best chances of good mileage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I have tried Costco gas and Shell gas before. MPG-wise I don't feel any significant difference.
Thanks, vamdemon. That's a good comparison because those two brands would seem like different classes of gasoline, if there is such a thing as different classes. I would guess that Costco would be "cheap" gas, while Shell would be the opposite, with additives and such. Shell is my gas of choice, so I'll definitely be burning a good bit of that in my car. I'll try some different brands just to see how it goes. I remember my old car would get really bad mileage with EXXON. Seems like that should be good gas, but my car didn't like it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
With the ethanol blending the gas is all the same now. The additives are all federally mandated. Just buy the cheapest gas you can find now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
With the ethanol blending the gas is all the same now. The additives are all federally mandated. Just buy the cheapest gas you can find now.
Perhaps so, but at the same time you probably don't want to risk pumping gas that's been sitting in the storage tank for weeks, which might be the case at smaller mom-and-pop gas stations that don't see as much gas business compared to busier name-brand gas stations.

Oddly enough--and to my advantage--where I live the cheapest gas is actually at Costco and Sam's Club; I go to Costco since they are listed as offering Top Tier fuel whereas Sam's Club gas isn't Top Tier. To each his/her own, but personally I would not choose to get gas at 7-Eleven for my vehicles if given a choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps so, but at the same time you probably don't want to risk pumping gas that's been sitting in the storage tank for weeks, which might be the case at smaller mom-and-pop gas stations that don't see as much gas business compared to busier name-brand gas stations.

Oddly enough--and to my advantage--where I live the cheapest gas is actually at Costco and Sam's Club; I go to Costco since they are listed as offering Top Tier fuel whereas Sam's Club gas isn't Top Tier. To each his/her own, but personally I would not choose to get gas at 7-Eleven for my vehicles if given a choice.

A recent Consumer Reports/AAA article: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I have 12 optima 2.4L EX. I average 19mpg mainly because I have stop and go traffic, with 0-70mph parts sprinkled in.... Should've bought a hybrid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 12 optima 2.4L EX. I average 19mpg mainly because I have stop and go traffic, with 0-70mph parts sprinkled in.... Should've bought a hybrid
Ouch... But you're right, with stop and go traffic, I guess you can only hope for so much. Thank you for sharing your mileage results. That's exactly what I was hoping people would do!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks, vamdemon. That's a good comparison because those two brands would seem like different classes of gasoline, if there is such a thing as different classes. I would guess that Costco would be "cheap" gas, while Shell would be the opposite, with additives and such. Shell is my gas of choice, so I'll definitely be burning a good bit of that in my car.
Here's 1 vote for Costco:

And as I use Costco regular in the 2.0T, while premium in the other 2 cars, I'll cast the second vote for Costco.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's 1 vote for Costco:

And as I use Costco regular in the 2.0T, while premium in the other 2 cars, I'll cast the second vote for Costco.
Wow, so Costco must be pretty decent, and I'm sure it's a good price. Too bad there isn't one near me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
22 Participants
ski5804
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing