Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems that I have to get on the freeway sometimes, so that the a/c comes on. Sometimes it doesn't. I've checked the level with one of those diy cans and it looked full. Is there a switch that I can check or replace? 2011

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
What is the nature of the problem you have - can you describe it very simply?

Are you saying the problem is your system won't automatically guess when you want it to activate all by itself?

Or is there a specific problem, such as you turn on the AC and it doesn't come on. Or you turn on the AC, and it blows, but comes out warm. Or you turn it on heat, but it comes on and blows cold air instead of warm.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Cool, Do you know where it's located? Thanks
It's at the back/side of the compressor. You'll see the wiring harness going into the side at the top of the valve.
Easy to replace, but the system needs to be discharged first, then the valve can be changed, evacuate system and charge 19.3 oz refrigerant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixxed!! I had the same problem. To get cold air from the AC on hot days, I had to increase engine rpm. Either by shifting to a low gear or frw driving. The problem was the modulator valve in the AC compressor. The screen on the modulator valve that had some contamination partially blocking it. I replaced the modulator valve because the part is cheap and I already had the part. I probably could have just cleaned the screen. The compressor could also be replaced to solve the no cold air problem since the modulator valve is part it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Don't believe the dealership sells them separately, only compressor, so you'll need to look aftermarket, a/c electronic control valve.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
97674-3M001
Don't know where the applications came from, but scanning Kia parts, it is only for the 2016 Optima and newer.

Maybe it will fit don't know. I ordered and aftermarket unit for my '11 2.0T, listed as the proper replacement for all years, but when I went to do the install, wouldn't go in all the way, pulled it out and compared it to the OEM valve and it was @ 3/16" too long. Had to put the "old" valve back in and recharge just to drive the car. What a PIA. No wonder why the shops replace the compressor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts