Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am trying to figure out where the condenser fan is located on a 2011 Kia Optima 2.4l. My father is a Kia tech and told me it is an easy repair, but when I looked under the hood, I only see the radiator fan. Am I missing something? When I first got the car, the A/C would freeze you out, and now in traffic, it tends to blow warm air.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I say that the problem is the electronic control valve at the rear side of the compressor.
Also, sometimes the cooling is delayed after initial start for a few minutes to sometimes longer, butbwhen it works cold as can be. I'm on my third valve, 210,000 miles.

You do say though, that there is no fan operating at all when a/c is called for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure, because it takes forever to get cold. Even after one of those charge in a cans where it said my pressure was great, I get warm air sitting at idle. I drove from Lanexa Virginia to Newport News Virginia today and while driving down the road it was cold, but sitting at lights it would blow warm... is that part incorporated into the compressor or is that something I could get at a parts store?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I'm not really sure, because it takes forever to get cold. Even after one of those charge in a cans where it said my pressure was great, I get warm air sitting at idle. I drove from Lanexa Virginia to Newport News Virginia today and while driving down the road it was cold, but sitting at lights it would blow warm... is that part incorporated into the compressor or is that something I could get at a parts store?
My other 3 cars have additional fans for the A/C, but the Optima, I believe only has the one, so that needs to function when needed..
Must say that in my 5 years of dealing with the Optima A/C problems, found that 99.9% of the time, the fault is a bad valve at the back of the compressor. In case you weren't aware, the compressor doesn't have a clutch as in the past, it's a variable displacement compressor (VDC), inner parts are turning all the time, even when the A/C is off. That valve has the job to change the displacement when needed, e.g. at idle, low speed etc, but when operating off idle, the A/C will freeze you out, then the cycle begins again when slowing.

Some shops/dealerships want to change the entire compressor rather than just the valve, charge big bucks, but just the vallve will do the trick. The valve is really an inexpensive item maybe $50, but to change, the system needs to be discharged, remove wiring harness, undo snap-ring, pull out valve, install new unit, evacuate, charge. If going that route, one must be extremely careful to make certain the pins in the new unit are not bent but straight. I did a job, installed valve, couldn't get refrigerant to be pulled into the system, shut it down, removed wiring, and one of the pins was bent down. As they are very thin, couldn't bend back as it broke off, so, needed to discharge and do it all over again.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1 Posts
Any suggestions on where to get this done if it is the problem, haven’t taken to my local mechanic, but would I be better off going to the dealer?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Any suggestions on where to get this done if it is the problem, haven’t taken to my local mechanic, but would I be better off going to the dealer?
If it proves to be the valve, don't believe the stealership will just replace the valve as they will replace the entire compressor, but you can check their policy once you find the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced my compressor....2011 Sx.....hope I didn't for no reason...either way...AC IS perfect for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts