Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima Kia Optima SXL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 SXL that just hit the 60k mark. I love my car, it has been great and still looks like new. Snow white pearl. Two questions. My dealer wants $500 to perform the 60k checkup. My brother and I can do it ourselves for $100. Does this impact my warranty in any way? The dealer I purchased it from, new, gave me free lifetime oil changes so they have been performed every 2500-3000 miles. The other problem is the chrome on my rims is flaking off from the inside of the rim outward. I am sure they will do nothing about that. I always thought the chrome work on the rims was shoddy. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase re-manufactured rims or like rims at a reasonable cost?

Thanks, Mike.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
589 Posts
I recommend talking to your dealer about the wheels. Kia replaced all 4 of my wheels due to the flaking. That is counted as a manufacturer defect. Approach it in a friendly way and bring it in ASAP. It's best to have it as close to 60k (but over) as possible for that issue.

Now is the time to do something like pay that $500 for the 60k maintenance and start getting to know your dealer's service manager. Paying for services pays off in hookups.

It does cost more, but by paying them to do the work, I've saved TONS of money in the long run. The 4 new wheels alone is $3,000 in cost. I've gotten extra stuff done at a discounted rate. When I go in for services, they almost always discount them now or just do small **** at no cost.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
Don't waste your money on the dealership services as you'll get hosed in the end.
Look at the 60k mile service in the owners manual and go from there, you don't need maintenance records for the engine problem, and you can do the work yourself w/o any impact on warranty.

Chrome wheels, even chrome clad wheels are always a problem with flaking. The best chrome wheel I've ever owned were the PVD chrome wheels. I've had them on one of our cars for 12 years and even brake dust will wash off with a hose as the chrome is protected they won't flake,etc.

I would make certain to add a brake fluid "flush", every 2 or 3 years to the list as it certainly helps in the long run.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
Yep. Just follow owners manual and you will be good to go. The only thing I don’t agree with is not changing trans fluid as stated in manual. If keeping car do it. If not don’t. I did it at 50k. Other than that car are bulletproof IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
I believe the 2013 Owner's manual indicates a ATF replacement at 96,000km @ 60,000 miles, but the 2011 manual does not.
Having said that, the old '08 Optima that the daughter is using, 300,000 miles and no ATF change, but I certainly don't recommend not changing. Our '11 2.0T has been changed a couple of times in the last 3 years, did it after I purchased the car although color was bright red, and then when the ATF temp sender went bad last year. Actually pretty cheap as the Valvoline fluid was only $17/gal.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Kia Optima SXL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I am scheduled for an oil change next weekend. I will talk to the service manager about both issues. I will see where it goes from there. FYI, I will also discuss that I have a problem with my entire dashboard squeaking when I hit bumps in the road. It does not rattle, it is simply the noise that material makes rubbing against the windshield or whatever is below it. I can simply push on the piece of white leather trim above my radio and simulate it very well. It's not loose, but it's not right either.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts