Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL 2.0T G4KH
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kia G4KH engine (2.0T) is from the same line as the 4B11T from Mitsubishi, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the idea of using some upgrades made for the Mitsu engine for the Optima? There really aren't a whole lot of options out there designed for Kia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, different engines.
Sooo helpful.

And wrong, from what I can find, hence the question about people with experience with these engines.

"The new Theta 2.0T produced 274 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. The interesting fact, the G4KF is pretty similar to Mitsubishi's 4B11T engine and many of their parts are interchangeable.

The G4KH and G4KL engines are the newest power units combined the direct gasoline injection and a twin-scroll turbocharger (the 2.0L T-GDI or Turbo GDI engines). The engineers installed the Mitsubishi TD04-19T turbocharger featured the quick response due to a redesigned turbine wheel with a reduced number of blades."

They are both from the Global Engine Alliance, 2.0L Turbo, 86x86, using Mitsu's TD04, etc. I know they aren't the same, but they are similar, and some parts absolutely are interchangeable, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any more about what parts are.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,667 Posts
Don't know what parts you might be speaking of, but the intake, exhaust, oil pan, head, valve cover gaskets are all different, rod bearings and head bolts are different, but the mains and valves are the same. Now the mains for Hyundai/Kia are not only the same for the Mitsubishi, but also Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep, so just generic.

Years ago comparing the Evo X 4B11T to the Hyundai 4B11T they were quite different. From an article comparing the two:
Blocks similar, but with less webbing, heads different, no intake/exhaust swapping as they are different. It was stated that the pistons and rods were of lesser quality in the Hyundai, but it would be possible to swap in the Evo units.

Now, comparing it to the G4KL, I still say different animal and I don't believe the Evo is even direct injection.

Maybe others will chime in with additional information.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,667 Posts
I still don’t understand why you think injection makes a difference. That’s like saying a 5.7 GM with tbi is different then a 5.7 with traditional rail injection.
I guess we're stuck on what makes an engine different If were talking c.i, 2.0 liter, then they are the same, but when the block, heads, intake, exhaust, and fuel delivery system is changed, to me a different engine.

Let's look at the 5.7, at one time it was a good old carbed 350 engine then to the LT1, new block, heads, intake. Then the LS6, different bore/stroke, stronger block, 346 ci but called a 5.7. Now, if you believe with all the changes the 5.7 is the same engine from 50 years ago, your prerogative, but to me, they are different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess we're stuck on what makes an engine different If were talking c.i, 2.0 liter, then they are the same, but when the block, heads, intake, exhaust, and fuel delivery system is changed, to me a different engine.

Let's look at the 5.7, at one time it was a good old carbed 350 engine then to the LT1, new block, heads, intake. Then the LS6, different bore/stroke, stronger block, 346 ci but called a 5.7. Now, if you believe with all the changes the 5.7 is the same engine from 50 years ago, your prerogative, but to me, they are different.
I don't really give a **** whether we call the engines the same or different; I never called them the same. I said they are similar. You just said "no, different engines" to the question of if there are common parts. That is just flat wrong. There are common parts, was just curious to what extent some parts might be swappable.

Since chevy 350 was brought up, back in the day you could absolutely use 350 heads on a 327 block. I have a little personal experience using 2JZ parts on a 1JZ block. In both cases, different engines. Still, there are common parts. If you've got no experience with the topic, you could just not chime in at all.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,667 Posts
I don't really give a **** whether we call the engines the same or different; I never called them the same. I said they are similar. You just said "no, different engines" to the question of if there are common parts. That is just flat wrong. There are common parts, was just curious to what extent some parts might be swappable.

Since chevy 350 was brought up, back in the day you could absolutely use 350 heads on a 327 block. I have a little personal experience using 2JZ parts on a 1JZ block. In both cases, different engines. Still, there are common parts. If you've got no experience with the topic, you could just not chime in at all.
If you see my reply, I wasn't talking to you!:mad: People certainly get their feathers ruffled easily!
Don't even start on Chevy's, ask me anything about a Chevy and I'll tell you. Drag raced a GM sponsored Chevy, also ran a dragster powered by a Chevy, and cousin ran a Chevy big block modified stock car, so certainly don't need any education on the Chevy engines. I even ran a Baldwin Motion BB Chevelle. :)

Just like Slo13optimaSX, if you believe the 2.0T with direct injection, along with a different head, intake, exhaust, block etc is the same as the 4B11T great, and if you find any parts, other than possibly the bottom end, let me know.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts