Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going home after breakfast this morning CEL comes on and onboard diagnostics informs me of impending serious engine control issue. Ovu recommends scheduling with nearest dealer. I drive to dealer with CEL and when technician drives car into bay, KIA of Nyack, engine seized. They say I'm covered but may need to provide maintenance proof. I dont keep records for my 5 years of ownership plus I have done a few oil changes myself. What about the 2 years prior to my purchase? Do they consider that. Hoping for approval as I did take care of this car as it was/is my life line for work. Dealer has no loaner for the next 2 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed for the best.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
They started asking for maintenance records for some of the engine failures after the Settlement was signed. They certainly can tell whether or not it was maintained by pulling the valve cover, but these engines are junk so it's nothing but another way to aggravate customers. Just wait and seee what their final decision might be, then decide what to do

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called KIA about the need to provide maintenance records and they confirmed that KIA does not require it but that they dealer may request it. It seems to me this is a way for the dealer to get more $$$$$$$. I guess they figure they can tell me the claim for the free engine was declined do to maintenance issues and then hit me up to pay out of pocket. Thereby charging me more that they would get from KIA. I was informed by the dealership that KIA was sending someone to "check the engine". All this seems fishy as they initially said that the engine fell into the class action settlement for a new engine. Anyway my hands are tied now. I have been borrowing my daughters car for work since my commute is around 50 miles each way and her summer job is a mile down the road. Dealership said no available loaners for almost 2 weeks but KIA said they will try to work something out with a rental even though rental rates here are like 4x the usual.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Called KIA about the need to provide maintenance records and they confirmed that KIA does not require it but that they dealer may request it. I
You believe that BS? Think about that statement, Kia doesn't need the maintenance records, but the stealership might, just another way to get you off their back.
There is no way a stealership overrides the corporate guidelines.
Hyundai/Kia, just a deplorable run company, but people keep buying the junk.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Dealer called to let me know that they "might" have a loaner for me in a day or so and that a KIA technician would be coming down in that time. While I had the dealer on the line I informed them that I was in direct contact with 2 KIA reps and that contrary to what the dealership said KIA never requests maintenance records. Now the dealer let slip that the only reason a KIA technician was coming was that KIA found that dealers where approving engines that had not met the guidelines or were not faulty, perhaps reselling them. KIA put the entire region, I live in the Lower Hudson Valley on NY, on probation. Interesting to hear and it sure doesn't build ones confidence in the dealerships.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Another BS statement, dealer approving engine replacement w/o corporate approval, who pays for the service/parts?
Without corp. approval, the stealership won't do anything.
The people that speaks to the customer just have a knack to tell the customer what they want to hear.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st the only thing this customer wants to hear is that my car will be fixed under the settlement. I dont need BS and given the run around about records. The person who told me was actually someone I know at the dealership. The only thing KIA told me was that they don't ask for maintenance records and that they have the records of any and all recall work done on my car and thats all they want. So no I'm not naive but don't try to pull some run around crap with me I've been around the block plenty of times.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As of Friday the 15th Kia has finally approved the engine replacement. Dealer says they should have the engine in by Wednesday the 28th and that it should be ready the week after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts