Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was able to find a lap three uncle chip for my abdomen which I felt very lucky that I was only paying 375 for a used one. Then I’m like OK I’ll just go get Me some spark plugs and you know and vroom vroom right ?

that was until I saw that the specific spark plugs are almost $100 per plug!!!!!!

please someone help me and tell me that I don’t have to pay another $380 through the K5 store to get some spark plugs Because those specific ones are that special? Has anyone found alternative plugs that they can use? Please help me because I’ve had this for a week and I still can’t get it installed I stilBecause those specific ones are that special? Has anyone found alternative plugs that they can use? Please help me because I’ve had this for a week and I still can’t put it in yet!

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
Huh?? It’s $116 for a set of 4 HKS plugs on K5OS website so how did you end up with $100 per plug?? Was it a different plug you looked at??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL This ^^^^

OK well I was reading it and it said that they require the use of the racing spark plugs which are 375 or something in the K5 store but then I looked underneath it and the one the link you can click on they do they sell them for 28 bucks apiece but those aren’t the racing ones that they said that it needed.And I just got off the phone with mid Nite auto supply where I live and they said they could order them but they are also almost 400 bucks for four of them

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well OK at least I got a new part number to work with on the spark plugs that are not the racing ones but the ones they say you can use that are in the link under the information for the l3 tune

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
OK well I was reading it and it said that they require the use of the racing spark plugs which are 375 or something in the K5 store but then I looked underneath it and the one the link you can click on they do they sell them for 28 bucks apiece but those aren’t the racing ones that they said that it needed.And I just got off the phone with mid Nite auto supply where I live and they said they could order them but they are also almost 400 bucks for four of them
Is it uncle chip Lap 3 or the actual Lap 3 tune? If it’s just the chip then these HKS plugs should do the job no problem. I would never pay that much for some spark plugs and HKS plugs should do the trick imo. Your best bet is to contact David and I’m sure he will chime in in thread within a few hours.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
38 Posts
Not sure what those are. But using the wrong plugs can lead to engine failure. Your welcome to use whatever you want. It might be fine.

Those plugs are specifically picked for the heat dissipation. Without it. Boom goes the engine. And that wont be covered by the lifetime engine warranty.

The gap and the materials of the M45XL plugs are picked specifically for the use of increased boost. So dealers choice.

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After doing some cross referencing on the correct link I found these they are exactly the same and were cheaper than the ones at the K5 store buthad the same properties when it comes to materials and construction. Unless someone knows more about this than I do but from everything that I’ve

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it uncle chip Lap 3 or the actual Lap 3 tune? If it’s just the chip then these HKS plugs should do the job no problem. I would never pay that much for some spark plugs and HKS plugs should do the trick imo. Your best bet is to contact David and I’m sure he will chime in in thread within a few hours.

it is the actual chip. I installed it with the radium plugs and it kicks fucking ass I love it . I get a second gear scratch, not that I wanted it a particularly but the power is there, it’s pretty cool.
Unfortunately I believe that I am losing boost now, though actually think I was losing boost before, but my brother drove it and he hears it to that kind of a tick tick tick tick tick‘s when I’m getting on it coming from the turbo area.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
it is the actual chip. I installed it with the radium plugs and it kicks fucking ass I love it . I get a second gear scratch, not that I wanted it a particularly but the power is there, it’s pretty cool.
Unfortunately I believe that I am losing boost now, though actually think I was losing boost before, but my brother drove it and he hears it to that kind of a tick tick tick tick tick‘s when I’m getting on it coming from the turbo area.
LMFAO, glad you enjoy the Lap 3 and I did too when I had it before. Have fun and go apeshit with it and Stay Safe out there!!

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
38 Posts
The high pressure fuel pump is the same area as the turbo. And it will always make a tick tick tick. Might be nothing to worry about.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,854 Posts
Lots of misinformation here in just one day @Rkiel15sxtgdi

For starters, you are simply getting confused here about different spark plugs we sell on our site.

Here are the (4) different versions of Spark Plugs that we offer on our website, and what they are used for/recommended for:

1) NGK 1422 (ILKR8E6) Spark Plugs $55 Shipped - 4 Pack (These are OE style plugs, and what you would use to install on a NON-TUNED engine)

2) HKS M45XL Spark Plugs $115.95 Shipped - 4 Pack (These are the correct spark plugs needed to be used when running the LAP3 or any performance tune)

3) HKS M45iL Spark Plugs $149.95 Shipped - 6 Pack (These are the same as linked above, but for the 6 cylinder engines)

4) NGK R2556B-8 Racing Competition Spark Plugs $379.80 Shipped - 4 Pack (These are competition Racing Plugs, & not needed for running just the LAP3 Uncle Chip Tune)

It looks like you simply got confused between the HKS Racing Plugs, what we state is required for running the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune, and the NGK Competition Racing Plugs that we sell on the website as well.

However, you absolutely CANNOT run the NGK 1422 $55-60 plugs on your tuned Optima running the LAP3 Uncle Chip tune, as it is only a matter of time before a portion of the spark plug breaks in the cylinder and causes 100% total engine catastrophe from having a piece of the porcelain of the plug break off into your cylinder.

The HKS Racing plugs are made with ceramic, so they don't have that issue, they are also much more heavy duty of a plug in general, as they are specifically designed for racing, and you don't have to worry about the plug breaking off into your cylinder and causing a blown motor.

There is an old saying I go by in life: "Good isn't cheap, and cheap isn't good"

Don't cut a corner and try and save a little money on the spark plugs, because at the end of the day, it will cost you a LOT more money to replace the engine, then spending an extra $100 on the correct spark plugs designed to work with the tune you are running. (y)

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,764 Posts
Nice list of plugs - can you provide the gap information for that list of different types of plugs and their applications?

Another thought: would you ever want to use a different gap, for a particular application? Or should you always use the recommended gap for that particular plug?

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He suggested that I get a boost gauge and that that would determine where I’m losing it at I’m losing it from fucking bird
The high pressure fuel pump is the same area as the turbo. And it will always make a tick tick tick. Might be nothing to worry about.
When I am accelerating it almost sounds like imagine the sound of your turbo while accelerating heard through a cell phone while in a bad network area. Cutting in and out . That’s what it sounds like .

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,854 Posts
I'm willing to bet you 100% that what you are hearing is actually detonation from lack of proper spark when running the tune.

Under full boost while going WOT, if the correct spark is not there, you will risk blowing your motor, and I would NOT recommend flooring it or going WOT when you hear that tick tick tick, or your engine may go boom. :oops:

Nice list of plugs - can you provide the gap information for that list of different types of plugs and their applications?

Another thought: would you ever want to use a different gap, for a particular application? Or should you always use the recommended gap for that particular plug?
Thanks, we recommend the same gap of 0.028 for all of them. However, everyone will have their own preference, and I am not looking to debate with anyone (not implying you) on what they feel is the proper gap setting.

·
Registered
2014 sx turbo
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was doing it well before the chip so hold that bet . And it’s only noticeable when I’m really getting on it that I hear if ,

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,854 Posts
It was doing it well before the chip so hold that bet . And it’s only noticeable when I’m really getting on it that I hear if ,
No idea on that one, I'm just letting you know what you could be dealing with/facing...

It's no big deal if you aren't interested in listening to the multiple members indicating the correct spark plugs for the application you're running.

We all have to live and learn on our own, one way or another. At the end of the day, I hope you are able to figure out the issue and get it resolved.

Good luck! (y)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts