Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters 2012 optima is at the shop getting its second steering column. It’s binding internally and during gradual turns does not recenter unless you force it. These are the exact same symptoms we had with it in 2019. The first one was changed under an extended warranty so Kia is not covering this one as it’s out of warranty. I’m gonna fight it with Kia corporate consumer affairs as 2 columns, in 2 years with the exact same symptom in my eyes is unheard of. I have never had to replace one, let alone 2 columns on a vehicle. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
51 Posts
My daughters 2012 optima is at the shop getting its second steering column. It’s binding internally and during gradual turns does not recenter unless you force it. These are the exact same symptoms we had with it in 2019. The first one was changed under an extended warranty so Kia is not covering this one as it’s out of warranty. I’m gonna fight it with Kia corporate consumer affairs as 2 columns, in 2 years with the exact same symptom in my eyes is unheard of. I have never had to replace one, let alone 2 columns on a vehicle. Thoughts?
how long is the warranty on the replaced unit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how long is the warranty on the replaced unit?
one year parts and labor. Service manager said it’s up to the dealership and he could give me 15% so repair is roughly $1700. Service advisor pulled me aside and told me to build a case with corporate using the 2 columns in 2 years and the fact we also have a ‘19 Forte and ‘21 K5.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,088 Posts
Dumb people should find what's binding then fix the problem, not replace the entire column.
Disconnect it from the rack and go from there, and awhile back there was some talk about the universal binding/being tight.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
51 Posts
one year parts and labor. Service manager said it’s up to the dealership and he could give me 15% so repair is roughly $1700. Service advisor pulled me aside and told me to build a case with corporate using the 2 columns in 2 years and the fact we also have a ‘19 Forte and ‘21 K5.
So I see that Cardone sells reman ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING ASSIST COLUMNS with a warranty for 3 years but a new factory part gets one year? what a joke. Can't find a listing for our car through them though. They could probably R&R one though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts