Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Kia Optima Sportswagon PHEV with 270 degree surround view monitor.

I'm thinking of upgrading it into full 360 degree camera. I'm only missing the front camera which is part number 95780-D5000.

It can be found on Ebay for about 150 USD.

Could someone with a front camera take a photo for me where is the wiring for the camera located under the hood? It should be easy to fix the camera in place and I hope the functionality is already there. Also the stock Android infotainment system hopefully recognizes if a front camera is added into the system and will then display the video from it as well. Or it could require a coding change at the dealer.

TL;DR I want to upgrade to 360 camera from stock 270 camera and I hope it's as easy as plug-and-play after adding the front camera.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
I'm super looking forward to seeing if this works. I want to do the same to my wife's sedona. Just scared it would require software changes.

If I can get out today I'll try and get a location of that harness from my 18sxl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the infotainment is using Android, I think we could copy the apk from a car with 360 camera if it indeed is a separate app. Looking at the parts list it can be seen that each camera do not have a video cable going to the back of the AV equipment. So there must be a surround view monitor module somewhere that is hooked up with the AV.

The biggest problem would be if the 270 system indeed only has input for three cameras and another module is used with 360 cameras but that sounds like it would just be more expensive for the manufacturer and therefore more unlikely.

Currently I just don't know where the surround view module is located at so I can't hook it up with the front camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried to find the female end of camera plug with help of endoscope but couldn't find it.

Anyone with 360 camera? Could you help locate the other end of the front camera? Where does it attach to?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
From my small view. It looks like it goes down and to the drivers side. Without disassembly of the grill I cant tell you more then that
20200726_170042.jpg
20200726_170031.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked with a KIA mechanic. Unfortunately it is not easy or cheap to upgrade. It would require a new wiring harness and a control module and they cost a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, so here's something I never really quite understood...

How many cameras are necessary for a 360* view? Where are they located? I know the images are basically somehow stitched together to give the 360 view, but I have no idea how that works.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Okay, so here's something I never really quite understood...

How many cameras are necessary for a 360* view? Where are they located? I know the images are basically somehow stitched together to give the 360 view, but I have no idea how that works.
There are 4 cameras, one at the front, one at the rear, and one in either both of the side view mirrors, or in the B Pillars.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
There are 4 cameras, one at the front, one at the rear, and one in each B Pillar.
I'm assuming that your reply was meant to be in general since on the Optimas the left and right OEM side camera placements are not in the B pillar but rather each camera is integrated in the bottom of the side-view mirrors. On the SXL there is a fifth camera located underneath the rear-view mirror mount but it is not used for the 360-degree SVM feature but rather it is used as part of the LDW system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts