Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted another thread about this same vehicle for something else, but for this thread I was wondering what other fellow members of the Optima forums recommend for my 2016 Kia Optima SXL Turbo, it has the 18" chrome aluminum rims, and I keep getting bubbles in my Falken Senceras, I want to find something that's super grippy in all situations while also being super quiet, but figured here would be the best place to ask since you guys have physical actual experience with tires on this vehicle, and are not the tire company talking to me in buzz words and sales language. I am also trying to find a longer mileage warranty tire so I don't have to replace them as frequently, I've been through two sets of these Falkens through warranty and they still bubble on the sidewall, not to mention they are terribly loud, (I am aware this vehicle has cabin noise issues but it was far better when I first bought it tire wise)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,332 Posts
As a super grippy compound can never yield long mileage, seems as though you'll need to make a decision as to which is most important.
Need to know if you want a summer only or an all season tire, then the choice can be made.
Tires are super subjective and one brand that someone suggests, another would reject. As the tread width varies greatly within a specific tire size, I always recommend comparing the tread width before making a decision. Example, in the 235/45-18 size, the tread width range is 7.3" to 8.5".
Take a look over on TireRack to gain some insight into the various categories from which to choice and one can even have the tires shipped to a local installer.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
91 Posts
I just installed Michelin Primacy Tour A/S on my '16 SX. Too early to say how they will do long-term but they seem very quiet. They are rated for 55K miles. I only average about 5K miles/year so I'll be replacing them based on time as opposed to mileage, assuming all goes well with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I ended up getting 4 Nexen N5000 Platinum 235/45R18XL tires, I'm getting them from Sams and otd they were a little under 700$, 55K mile warranty and found out a friend of mine has them on her car and they ride like a dream, the XL apparently is a rating for handling heavier loads so the tire is reinforced compared to one without that rating, hopefully they are more durable than my Falken's, I've replaced a total of 10 of my Sincera SN250 A/S's because they would crack, bubble, or lose air. Oh also Sams gives free lifetime tire rotations and balance, so that's good, the place I got my Falken's from didn't offer anything like that.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
717 Posts
I only average about 5K miles/year so I'll be replacing them based on time as opposed to mileage, assuming all goes well with them.
Your X Years to Change?
Anyone know an Industry - Max X Years Need to Replace time?
-----------------------------------------------
Oh also Sams gives free lifetime tire rotations and balance, so that's good, the place I got my Falken's from didn't offer anything like that.
Being a Murphy's Law guy I always fear the Free Lifetime stuff nets (sometimes) little or no action as intended. I once had a Free Life rotation where I forgot to give them the McGard Wheel Lock Key and they never asked for it. While it IS Possible they magically had X number of McG keys to try, I never thought so. (Best way is to mark inside of L & R Front tires so you can notice after Svc IF they're on the correct side Rear) ... I HOPE your Life Svcs turn out to be true.

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Premium Member
2020 KIA Optima SX
202 Posts
Industry says 6-10 years but I've run 10 year old summer and winter tires on my (low milage) 2012 SX that showed no sign of tire deterioration before I sold it. I've had Discount Tire refuse touch my tires ( had a slow leak) because the were "too old".

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,332 Posts
There is no industry standard, just recommendations.
Now in the UK:
It's illegal to fit, or use, tyres on lorries (trucks), buses, coaches and minibuses that are over 10 years old.
Only above, cars exempt.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
91 Posts
Mine were replaced after about 6 years only because I had one that got a flat and could not be repaired, and I figured I might as well replace all 4 rather than have 1 mismatched. Otherwise I would have probably let it ride for another year or two and saved myself $900!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts