1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Optima Ex Hybrid
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy some wheels
First I was going 22's iroc wheels
But I found a deal for Vossen VSF2 bronze 20x9 +38 20x10 +45 for 1600$ brand new
Im not lowering my car.. Ever
So does it fit ?
Maybe 235/35/20 or 235/30/20 on all 4

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
188 Posts

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
The wheels in the attached pic are 20x9 +38 and 20x10 +45. You might have some poke in the back but they will be fine if you don't lower. If you do lower, you will rub in the front for sure.

10255394_825230287487627_7299381879685254717_o_zps9a6fe411.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
im on 2012, 20x9 et38 fronts 245/35/20, 20x10.5 et42 255/35/20 rears, fits without rubbing on the rear, slight rubbing on the front if the car is "sudden slammed" by uneven road, i might need to get those 235/35/20... not lowered anyway..

·
Registered
Optima Ex Hybrid
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im on 2012, 20x9 et38 fronts 245/35/20, 20x10.5 et42 255/35/20 rears, fits without rubbing on the rear, slight rubbing on the front if the car is "sudden slammed" by uneven road, i might need to get those 235/35/20... not lowered anyway..
Thx for the info, i think that i won't go any larger than 9" because the road is pretty bad here so it will not rub in any case

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
No it wont put any "stress" on suspension component
Keep in mind you are talking to a Kia Master Tech in ADonnelly...lol

A couple of things to consider. 1. The weight of the wheel is probably going to be much higher so yes it can put additional stress on the car's suspension. The car will ride rougher and the suspension will absorb more of the punishment since the tires are low profile. Second, a 22 is not listed in the plus sizes which means a few things and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the pcm is calibrated to the factory wheels. Once you make a change that is outside of the plus sizes it throws the speedometer off and causes the shift points to change. Probably not going to be noticable but more wear on the transmission.

·
Registered
Optima Ex Hybrid
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it wont put any "stress" on suspension component
Keep in mind you are talking to a Kia Master Tech in ADonnelly...lol

A couple of things to consider. 1. The weight of the wheel is probably going to be much higher so yes it can put additional stress on the car's suspension. The car will ride rougher and the suspension will absorb more of the punishment since the tires are low profile. Second, a 22 is not listed in the plus sizes which means a few things and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the pcm is calibrated to the factory wheels. Once you make a change that is outside of the plus sizes it throws the speedometer off and causes the shift points to change. Probably not going to be noticable but more wear on the transmission.
No disrespect to you (because I don't know if you are good or not) i met a lot of tech master in other brand that doesnt know their product well enough.

Correct me if im wrong but the suspension component is supposed to pass several test that put way more stress on them that we can possibly do on a daily drivin.

Kia factory wheel (17") weight around 25 pound and around 40-45 with the tire, so if I go on 22's i will keep in mind to not go over that weight

And i think the difference on the measurment of the entire will be around 3%, so not that big of a deal.
(With 235/30/22)

If im wrong somewhere, be my guest and correct me.

Sorry if I made mistake with my english

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
No disrespect to you (because I don't know if you are good or not) i met a lot of tech master in other brand that doesnt know their product well enough.

Correct me if im wrong but the suspension component is supposed to pass several test that put way more stress on them that we can possibly do on a daily drivin.

Kia factory wheel (17") weight around 25 pound and around 40-45 with the tire, so if I go on 22's i will keep in mind to not go over that weight

And i think the difference on the measurment of the entire will be around 3%, so not that big of a deal.
(With 235/30/22)

If im wrong somewhere, be my guest and correct me.

Sorry if I made mistake with my english
No one is saying it can't be done. We are just letting you know that things will wear faster and you will be replacing them sooner. Putting lowering springs on a car will wear out the stock struts faster. Some may get lucky and have them last a long time but it will wear faster than stock and has been documented many times.

They do put the car through lots of tests but those tests are built for stock wheel variables. All of those factors go into them so it'd hard to base anything on that. You would be looking at a 5% (4.9% Tbe) overall diameter difference which will equate to about 3mph at Highway speeds. No one is saying it can't be done, just saying it would definitely shorten the lifespan of some of the parts.

22's have been done many times on Optima's although not on a hybrid. Here is a good read on bigger wheels.

Big Wheels Can Present Big Problems - Car Maintenance and Car Repairs - DriverSide

·
Registered
Optima Ex Hybrid
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally understand but you have to remember that the thing that will reduce the life of the component is the way of driving, way more than a 2" difference in the wheels but less than a 1" (20mm difference) in total wheel measurment, as you know im driving an hybrid, so not the type of car that I would use aggressively(?)

I did oversized wheel on many car
(not donk style)
And I never had an issue with reducing the life of my component (brake or suspension), my driving style make the difference in my case

Im not saying that it cant happen with other people, i dont know their road condition or their driving style, but in my case, it will not affect anything (in term of stress/issue on the car)

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
236 Posts
It will put more "stress" on the ball joints. I'm not saying not can't be done, I just don't know that it would look right on an Optima. I think also with a 30 series tire it will ride like a log wagon. Everyone has an opinion and not saying mine is correct. If you do end up doing it I am very anxious to see the end results though! I am all out going big on wheels but there is a point for me where the wheel is too big for the vehicle. Post pics if you end up going with 22s!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts