3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll do one better, here is an English review:

I asked Charlie some time back to do some in English and he started an English channel to do reviews of vehicles in the Korean market for the English speaking folks. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
108 Posts
I think the new Optima looks great. My ONLY annoyance is the rear turn signals/reverse lights. It kills the whole look of the rear in my opinion. Kia gives you these beautiful big full-LED headlights in the front, but then cheaps out on the rear turn signals. It just looks half-ass'd. The fake exhaust tips are definitely a "zonk"(to quote Raiti's Rides) but I can live with that.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the incandescent turn signal and reverse light as well and wondered why they did that. Are they saving the full LED treatment for the GT version that will launch later? Who knows. Still, based on all the other creature comforts and options inside, plus how it looks overall, I can live with that. I figure it was a matter of time before the fake exhaust vents started occurring on non-European vehicles. It keep the rear end looking clean all the time, I’m good there too.

The top trim should be a 2.5T for our market and rumor is the GT version should be a hybrid performance version, 2.5T up front, electric motors in the rear. So maybe I finally will get my performance hybrid after all!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I noticed the incandescent turn signal and reverse light as well and wondered why they did that. Are they saving the full LED treatment for the GT version that will launch later? Who knows. Still, based on all the other creature comforts and options inside, plus how it looks overall, I can live with that. I figure it was a matter of time before the fake exhaust vents started occurring on non-European vehicles. It keep the rear end looking clean all the time, I’m good there too.

The top trim should be a 2.5T for our market and rumor is the GT version should be a hybrid performance version, 2.5T up front, electric motors in the rear. So maybe I finally will get my performance hybrid after all!
Where did you see the GT getting a hybrid performance version? I read up this morning about the Sonata N-Line (no Sonata N planned) getting the 2.5T but no mention of batteries/motors and is front drive only.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Asian Petrolhead has mentioned it in a video or 2 and if memory serves, I believe it was also mentioned on thekoreancarblog. Who knows it it will ever make it to production however, it could be done, it’s just a matter of them deciding there was a market for it. That maybe something for their CUV/SUV market since those are selling better these days and folks are willing to pay more for them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Asian Petrolhead has mentioned it in a video or 2 and if memory serves, I believe it was also mentioned on thekoreancarblog. Who knows it it will ever make it to production however, it could be done, it’s just a matter of them deciding there was a market for it. That maybe something for their CUV/SUV market since those are selling better these days and folks are willing to pay more for them.
Well it looks like in the foreseeable future the 1.6T is getting AWD while the GT will remain FWD. Kind of expected that as it would make the GT too expensive and essentially make it a Stinger.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AWD would be handy on the K5/Optima, but it in no way makes it a Stinger. The Stinger is a RWD, GT car while the Optima is FWD, mid-sized sedan, each designed for a different purpose. Even if they did the GT with AWD, it will still not be a Stinger.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome, thanks for the posts here Wayne!
No prob, bud. I stop in from time to time. I still have my 2017 Hybrid, which is doing quite well so far. I drove an S60 R-Design recently and I feel an AWD Optima with similar power ratings would be a nice thing to have, especially with the looks of the upcoming car. It looks more luxurious, while a bit aggressive at the same time.Much like how the European do things, I might have to get one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
AWD would be handy on the K5/Optima, but it in no way makes it a Stinger. The Stinger is a RWD, GT car while the Optima is FWD, mid-sized sedan, each designed for a different purpose. Even if they did the GT with AWD, it will still not be a Stinger.
They are similar in size, they would share the same engine (2.5T), and both be AWD for similar price points. So basically the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.