Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of videos in English of the Media Test Drive event

Word is the Optima name will be dropped and the K5 name will be use worldwide.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The US version has not yet been announced. Typically US model year starts in September, Hyundai and KIA have been known to release new vehicles in March/April or November/December time frame. The Optima has been selling well so they may not release the new model early. The press here, may get to drive it in March - May, it should arrive in dealerships August through September, if they follow their normal schedule. If not, then by November, like the Stinger.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
I saw these vids on Youtube, and even though that Asian Petrolhead guy makes me crazy with his fumbling delivery, I found them very interesting.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He is used to doing videos for the Korean market, I asked him about doing some English versions on his other channel and he started this channel to cater to a global audience as others were also posing questions.This was around the time when the second gen K9 was launched. The channel is not even a year old yet and is not his main channel. I'm happy to get some English videos when the Korean cars come out. Here is one of his early video on this channel.

Here is one of the K5 1.6T, as we know this engine is currently what powers the top trim Sonata until their "N" line version comes out.This will be similar on the K5 (new name for the Optima in the US) when it comes out.

Optima and Sonata compared.

According to some info found at the fuel economy site (not there anymore) showing mileage info for a K5 1.6T AWD, it looks like an AWD system is coming to the K5 as well for the first time. With plans for a K5 GT, we can all speculate if that will be an AWD system or just FWD. I am hoping they make it an AWD version with really good performance. So far, I haven't seen any videos of it testing at the Ring, like the 2021 Stinger and G70.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts