Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 2020 SE...was shocked to find out it didn't have Sirius/XM as most manufacturers offer this in base vehicles now. My question is how hard is it to install the aftermarket radio? Can you control it from the touch screen once installed? Does the shark fin antenna that is already on the vehicle have a Sirius antenna? Or is that only for the AM/FM?

Really can't understand why this was not included in the SE since this is a mid-level trim...pretty sucky.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Unless things have changed since 2018--the shark fin antenna is for SXM; AM/FM (or is it just FM?) antenna is embedded into the rear glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2020 SE...was shocked to find out it didn't have Sirius/XM as most manufacturers offer this in base vehicles now. My question is how hard is it to install the aftermarket radio? Can you control it from the touch screen once installed? Does the shark fin antenna that is already on the vehicle have a Sirius antenna? Or is that only for the AM/FM?

Really can't understand why this was not included in the SE since this is a mid-level trim...pretty sucky.
I use SiriusXM app from my cell phone, plug into my Optima SE using Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) and there you have Sirius Radio...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Know it's been a couple minths ago, but just read the post and didn't realize that the SiriusXM was only available on the EX, EX Premium, ans SX trim. Geez, what else have they deleted from the base, or even the entire lineup?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I don't know what else they've deleted but give them time and you'll see other options deleted that we take for granted--stuff like glove box compartment light, rear door window shades; heck maybe they'll even go retro and replace the hood struts with a hood prop rod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know what else they've deleted but give them time and you'll see other options deleted that we take for granted--stuff like glove box compartment light, rear door window shades; heck maybe they'll even go retro and replace the hood struts with a hood prop rod.
Spare tire and jack come to mind as deletions.

The hood struts on the Jeep Cherokee 4x4 rental I'm now driving since the Kia got rear ended by a Frieghtliner (6 weeks in body shop still!) looked sort of small. Turns out the Jeep's hood is all plastic so the puny struts can hold it up.

As to SirusXM, I've read enough reviews of owners to know I don't want it.

... and a 1 star rating out of 2.053 complaints, yet a A+ BBB rating (LOL! Likely they pay BBB for that rating.):

I didn't take their bait on giving them my credit card number after the 3 month free intro to extend it 2-3 more months. Now I get hounded via snail mail and email on "Special come back offers" for a couple of dollars for 3 months, then it jumps up to $240/yr. after that. You must call them and badger them to cut it off or play their lower price bait/switch game according to a lot of the reviewers.

No thanks. They need to clean up their act first for me.

Instead, I loaded up over 300 songs off CD's I ripped onto a 32GB thumb-drive and play it in the USB media port. Better quality too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts