Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Horizon Blue Kia Optima SX
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a list of recommended equipment and some basic install tips for dummies. I have some older experience doing speakers/amps/subs/wiring all that but newer cars are newer beasts.

What are the pros/cons/necessitees in order to install a sub/amp kit with the factory radio.

Thanks for the inputs!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Car stereo's are always low-voltage wiring, so if you have prior experience, it should be a snap. The only time I'd get nervous would be if you plan to do anything radical, and even then, just follow best practices, and you'll be fine.. A standard speaker swap-out & amp + sub addition should be no problem.

As far as brands/product lines go:

Rockford Fosgate 3-way (Doors)
JBL GTO 2-way (Dash)
Skar Audio (DVC Sub)

These should be plenty.

If you plan to use the stock head unit, and only amp the sub, make sure your impedance values match up, the front doors and dash speakers are wired in parallel, and the impedance value shouldn't go below 1.7 ohms, or you'll need to bias rearwards to prevent burnout. Rear impedance values shouldn't drop below 2 ohms.

If you plan to control, everything off the amp, dealer's choice.

·
Registered
2020 Horizon Blue Kia Optima SX
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is there a step by step someone has that can help me wire an amp to the factory radio. I really only care about the signal wires to line Output Converter bit. Where do I tap the signal wires for the LC2i and what should I look out for? Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts