Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 optima and have to used the app to remote start, which is a joke. Has anyone successfully used an after market or OEM remote start with key fob. I will NOT be paying for the app after the trial is over. TIA

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
I have a 2020 optima and have to used the app to remote start, which is a joke. Has anyone successfully used an after market or OEM remote start with key fob. I will NOT be paying for the app after the trial is over. TIA
I put one of these in my wife’s 14 sorento. No splicing. Plug and play. Tech support amazing. I got the app module add on. First year free then 39 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
The canbus module from k5 optima store has a few nice features with it.
I have one in my 14 optima. The wiring is a bit involved but can be done. Just need to take your time and double check. But after installing the one from 12 volt solutions I might be switching over. The app module is worth it for me and it’s sooo easy to install.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
197 Posts
Yes it may be super easy..

but my favorite features of the canbus module include
The opening and closing the sunroof before remote starting to help remove the heat.
The proximity locking and unlocking. No need to do anything but walk to/from the car.
The ability to unlock the car via the button on the door without the key. Incase of losing them or accidently locking the keys in etc.

Things to consider. Depending upon your wants/needs.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
The ability to unlock the car via the button on the door without the key. Incase of losing them or accidently locking the keys in etc.
I presume that the above feature requires that you have the remote fob on you; I'm guessing that the above feature is useful and applicable only to those models in which the key is completely separate from the remote fob--i.e., on later-gen models the key is only meant to be used in cases where the remote fob is not working for whatever reason. Admittedly I don't know exactly how the canbus module is able to unlock the door without a key if indeed it can do so without the presence of the remote fob, hence why I ask.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
197 Posts
I presume that the above feature requires that you have the remote fob on you; I'm guessing that the above feature is useful and applicable only to those models in which the key is completely separate from the remote fob--i.e., on later-gen models the key is only meant to be used in cases where the remote fob is not working for whatever reason. Admittedly I don't know exactly how the canbus module is able to unlock the door without a key if indeed it can do so without the presence of the remote fob, hence why I ask.
Nope. No key required at all. Physical or otherwise. The module is wired in with the door switch. So via a few times holds and presses of the button on the door. Then entering the code (user settings) it will unlock the car.

Its not a main feature, you have to enable it and change the default pin (or anyone can access your car) it is listed in the knowledge base though.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Ah I see; yeah that would be a good backup/failsafe if for whatever reason you don't have your keyfob on you.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Hello @Casio1961 I would recommend what others have mentioned above in this thread.

Our K5OS Canbus Control Module - K5 Optima Store while it requires a little more work to be installed, the features out-rival the competition.

Please have a look at it, and let us know if you have any questions about it or how it works.

The greatest part is you are not required to keep a seperate remote with you, you use the original factory one.

-David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts