Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! I'm new to the forum. Glad to have a place to research and ask questions.

This past weekend, my husband and I had an experience where the car felt like it didn't want to move (like the brakes were engaged). My husband pulled over and noticed smoke coming from the rear driver wheel. When he got closer, he saw it was the caliper with a small fire that eventually went out. Mind you, during this whole ordeal there were no lights showing on the dashboard or any other notification. We drove to the dealership after that, with the car driving fine as if nothing happened.

The dealership saw where the issue occurred. However, they aren't telling us a lot as far as what caused the problem. The only comment is that it was a defect with the computer. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
The title says 2020, but I'd say a problem might be with the EPB, overheated the pads and the fire began. Guess that must have been exciting to witness in a new car.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @melanielogan3. Glad to have you with us here.

Wow, that is a very scary experience to have to go through.

I honestly have never heard of anything like this happening before.

I would be curious to see/hear what the actual issue is that caused it to happen.

Hopefully they get it all taken care of for you under warranty, and it doesn't happen again.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. We got the car back today. Here are the tech's notes on the workorder:

Upon inspection found the left rear caliper to be sticking opened techline case and was instructed to replace caliper/replaced caliper and drove 5 mi vehicle is operating as designed
OP CODE(S): 58210R00 - Caliper
58210RQ0 - GDS

Long story short, they fixed it under warranty. We're monitoring now. Hopefully, we won't have any other problems.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Thanks for posting the fix, and must say, that's the first time I've seen a caliper problem on a new car, but parts fail, glad you're good to go, so enjoy the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 had a rear driver side caliper fail that way at 50K km (31K miles). The dealer wanted to blame me with bad maintenance, etc. Lucky for me, been in racing too many years to have them screw me over that easily. They finally replaced the caliper under warranty. Apparently à faulty piston, so I had a little revenge time with the service advisor. He wasn't so arrogant after that.
Two years later, the right side went bad, but I replaced it myself since it wasn't under warranty. Same problem, faulty piston.

It kind of makes me wonder if Kia doesn't have a manufacturing issue, and fails to tend to it since it's not common enough, or they usually fail once warranty is over. 😒

·
Registered
170 Posts
The calipers are not very Robust looking. Appears they could be a bit beefier. I'm glad I can do my own maintenance on brakes ;) Stealership racks people on brake jobs :(

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Never heard of a faulty caliper piston, but with years of not changing brake fluid the piston will hang up because of moisture/rust/corrosion, and the sliders have a nasty habit of freezing in the brackets rendering the caliper non-moveable.

Don't know the GDS codes, so would have liked to see the caliper on the OP's car to pinpoint the problem, caliper or some related part that overheated and probably cause the piston boot to catch fire, then the need to replace the caliper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts