Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Optima EX had an update to some new software and maps. The software is free as a download and then putting th SD card into the dash to load it. However, it refused to load.

I contacted the Kia download outfit and they asked for my VIN number and verfied it was a 2020 model. However, the dash navigation and sound unit is for a 2018 model. The new download is for the 2019-2020 model years (Whichmine should be!), and it is different than what I have which is a 2018 head unit so I must use the old software in a 2020 car..They told me to contact KIA USA which I've done but yet to hear back form them

More odd was the car was rear ended early this year. The print-out of the accident had some codes read which also showed the hybrid battery is from a 2018 year (It was the OEM one and it's still in the car.)..

Sort of miffed they are selling 2020 models with 2018 parts, and any software needed requires using the older model software. I understand some half-year models may get changes which may make service difficult, but two years sitting and calling that new.

Casey=

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not to change the subject BUT this is why I'm concerned about the lifetime engine warranty that is up to 2019 and I have 2020. My engine could be a 2019

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Sort of miffed they are selling 2020 models with 2018 parts, and any software needed requires using the older model software. I understand some half-year models may get changes which may make service difficult, but two years sitting and calling that new.

Casey=
Who is the "they" in your story?

If you purchased a new car (2020 model year), but received a used Frankenstein contraption rebuilt from various different used cars, then I'm guessing someone defrauded you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who is the "they" in your story?

If you purchased a new car (2020 model year), but received a used Frankenstein contraption rebuilt from various different used cars, then I'm guessing someone defrauded you.
They is KIA South Korea as that is where their hybrids - or at least mine - come from. Still not a peep from them (KIA USA) about the matter, but they said to wait 48 hours for a response so it's probably winding through the system.

Dealer had to get the car from another state dealer as they didn't have one as they are sort of rare. Got it right off the truck early Dec. 2019. Can't fault the dealer as they don't know about it, and I haven't told them about the discovery yet either since I'm waiting to see if KIA USA will respond. It was built that way with 2018 parts and called a 2020 model, or at least the body looks like a 2020 and not a 2018. They have the VIN proving it is a 2020, and the screenshots of all the sundry firmware codes off the dash showing it is a 2018 model and not a 2020.

Due to a lot of sensors that had to be replaced in the rear-end crash, the body shop had a KIA dealer read the codes and do any setup for the collision system and how I came upon the date of the hybrid battery in the car (2018). Still, that battery is warrantied for 10 years so no big matter there, but the dash headset is old and the 2019=2020 software will not load into it. I had to load the old 2018 software insread. KIA South Korea (Main factory?) built the car, and may have sneaked that one by so it may be a new one to the USA distributor and their software supplier for the updates to it.

I read the Optima line is getting retired so they may have planned on using up their old stock of parts to make way for whatever is new in 2021/2022 and coming out to replace the Optima. Maybe the K5 will be built with 2020 Optima parts if that's the one to replace the Optima. Their was also an issue with the rear-view mirror and the Home Link and UVO switches and the dealer couldn't swap it out so the Home Link garage door opener would function as the wiring was different. Guess S.K. doesn't use electric garage doors (In lieu of apartment complexes?) so they omit that in the USA shipped model too.

Still not too impressed of paying $40K for a 2018 model with a 2020 top on it.

C-

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
It sounds like there was work done to the car, substantial work by a body shop?

If the body shop replaced one part, are you sure they didn't replace others, such as swapping out your hybrid battery without your permission?

I had a body shop perform extra repairs on my car that I did not authorize. maybe your body shop did something similar. or maybe someone was able to sell your 2020 battery for more than it cost for a used 2018 battery, so they swapped it out without your authorization? Same for the other parts that don't match up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like there was work done to the car, substantial work by a body shop?

If the body shop replaced one part, are you sure they didn't replace others, such as swapping out your hybrid battery without your permission?

I had a body shop perform extra repairs on my car that I did not authorize. maybe your body shop did something similar. or maybe someone was able to sell your 2020 battery for more than it cost for a used 2018 battery, so they swapped it out without your authorization? Same for the other parts that don't match up?
Just checked and the door jamb sticker says it was made in Korea in March 2019. Sold as a 2020 in USA to me in Dec. 2019. That explains the 2018 hybrid battery and maybe the older dash ahrdware too. I still have the original software card out of it and it is a 2018 version shown for that too. The 2019-2920 models show a different version and why it refuses to load into mine. Doubt if a body shop would change out all the dashboard stuff for a rear bumper job. I had too many MySet data loaded into it and location data for them to bother else I'd know too.

So it's really an early 2019 build made with 2018 parts, and sold as a 2020. Likely scenario is the dealers began getting them in Oct.-Nov. 2019 to be sold as 2020 models, yet the build date, distribution, and shipping, added another year -or bit more. Someone buying a 2021 model now may be getting a 2019 model's parts.

KIA USA has yet to respond. Somehow I doubt they will. Buyer beware is lesson learned, and check the build date on door jamb which might give you some negotating room too.

C-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally, I got an email from KIA USA (Kia Consumer Assistance Center, KIA USA.) this A.M. Basically it says this: "We are reviewing this matter and will be in contact with you just as soon as we have an update on this." I think the 2020's use a Bose sound system, and mine has the Harmen-Karden unit but I don't really know. I think the 2020 hybrid EX had a major sound/naviagation upgrade, but I'd have to check deeper - and for now I don't want to.

This may get interesting. Don't know about a lemon-law or similar lawsuit, but it does seem odd to sell a 2020 model with 2018 parts, and then find out you cannot upgrade/update it unless you use 2018 parts. Doesn't even work on 2019 parts which I could conceivably understand given a few months, but a year prior? I don't know if there is a set manufacturing time where cars cannot be called a new model year, i.e. "Made in March 2019 can be sold as next year's 2020 model in November or December," or worse "Made in March 2019 with last years August 2018 parts and then sold as next year's 2020 model?" I feel like I paid $40K cash (Car is paid for, fwiw.) for a lip-sttick on a pig.

Haven't contacted dealer yet due to Covid. Could be Covid may have slowed down oversea's shipment and delivery times so they slowed down overall and pushed everything a year ahead. Dunno. Have to wait and see what KIA USA says. I wouldnt be surprised if Covid may be the excuse, and this may be going on with current new models from other manufacturers.

C-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this went up and down the KIA USA ladder in emails. Now they tell me to "Contact the dealer" which probably will be new to them as well and it'll go back up and down the KIA ladder again. Doubt if it will be resolved other than "That's just the way it is." I have an oil change coming up later this month and will talk to the service manager, but last time was a wash over the KIA UVO mirror that is in mine and the optional one with the garage door opener would not connect up as the connection wiring was also different (Probably more 2018 parts or something.). They ordered all the parts and mirror to do the update, but nothing would wire up. Least I didn't pay for that episode.

From what I gather in USA law, if a car is made on Jan. 1 of 2021, it can be sold as a 2022 model given it takes some time for them to go out to their holding yards and onto sundry dealers. Explains some road tests too of next year's models. Just the way it works. If they build it in March 2019 as mine was, and sold as a 2020 model in Dec. 2019 which is legal, the parts could be from 2018 and that's what I've got. Explains why the **** dash will not accept new updates if the software was made for a 2019/2020 dash.

Consequently, if I were buying a new model, I'd sure look at the manufacturing date on the door jamb. Maybe a late summer 2020 which would go on sale as a 2021 model might be okay, but I'd sure argue a better sales price if it was an early year build with a prior year's parts. I'd pass on a June or earlier build date if it's sold as next year's model. Lesson learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts