Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Kia does not make a license plate bracket for this specific model with the radar pad. I am curious how others have mounted their front license plate not blocking the radar. I do not want to mount it to the left or right of the radar pad thus blocking more of the air flow to the radiator. I also don't want to mount it high blocking some of the top grill and looking like crap. For ascetics mounting it directly above the radar pad seems best but because of the curved surfaces does not seem to be easy. There are 4 dimples for drilling in the space between the upper and lower grill that are spaced 10" X 2 3/4". Any suggestions would be appreciated. The vehicle will be used in many states that require a front license. Could part number 86518-A8100 possibly work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I was aware of that number, but not listed for the EX Premium. I was told I would have to pay restocking fees if it didn't work. I just found something on Ebay that may work. Only two holes but only $6.00.
Item ID: 272911575483
Hopefully the bottom of the plate won't rub on the bumper. Again thanks for the reply.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums Larry.

Congrats on getting your 2020 Kia Optima EX.

Looks like the one you posted from eBay will do the trick.

Let us know how it works out once you get it.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I was aware of that number, but not listed for the EX Premium. I was told I would have to pay restocking fees if it didn't work. I just found something on Ebay that may work. Only two holes but only $6.00.
Item ID: 272911575483
Hopefully the bottom of the plate won't rub on the bumper. Again thanks for the reply. View attachment 249658
Well, it fits:
2020 EX, Hybrid EX, LX, Plug in Hybrid EX, S, SX
1.6 gas, 2.0 elec/gas, 2.0 ga, 2.4 gas
So I'm certain it would fit the Premium.

The part you listed 86518A8100 is 2017-2019 Hybrid application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Optima Forums Larry.

Congrats on getting your 2020 Kia Optima EX.

Looks like the one you posted from eBay will do the trick.

Let us know how it works out once you get it.

-David
K5 Optima Store
Thank you for the greeting. Love the car. I would still like to have a full bracket under the plate though. I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Apparently Kia does not make a license plate bracket for this specific model with the radar pad. I am curious how others have mounted their front license plate not blocking the radar. I do not want to mount it to the left or right of the radar pad thus blocking more of the air flow to the radiator. I also don't want to mount it high blocking some of the top grill and looking like crap. For ascetics mounting it directly above the radar pad seems best but because of the curved surfaces does not seem to be easy. There are 4 dimples for drilling in the space between the upper and lower grill that are spaced 10" X 2 3/4". Any suggestions would be appreciated. The vehicle will be used in many states that require a front license. Could part number 86518-A8100 possibly work?
I have a 13 SX factory one I'm not using and could sell you.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL at least Kia offers a license plate bracket option for the 2020 Optima, unlike the 2018 Optima in which there is no 2018 Optima-specific bracket available--you had to more or less improvise with ones offered for previous-gen Optimas; I wound up using 86519-2T100 for my 2018 SXL (it's not a 100% fit but does work, plus it alleviates your concern about the bottom of the plate rubbing against the bumper), with the end result looking like this:

I've not had any issues with AEB on my SXL with the front plate installed as shown in the pic; I would imagine that Kia engineered the drill hole dimples for the front plate such that they are placed in the appropriate spot on the front bumper to ensure that when mounted, the front plate does not obscure the AEB module, front plate bracket or no front plate bracket. Unfortunately, given the specific placement of where the upper drill hole dimples are for mounting the front plate, as you can see it is impossible to mount the front plate in the center of the front bumper without the lower corners of the license plate slightly blocking the radiator and intercooler but quite frankly I don't think this blockage significantly affects airflow to the radiator and intercooler hardly at all--the temp gauge never reaches midway between C and H even during 90+ degree F temps and the A/C going.

Note--the install instructions tell you to use all four holes to mount the bracket but I chose to just use the two license plate holes to mount both the bracket and the plate (I used slightly longer screws to secure both the plate and bracket)--having two holes in my front bumper is bad enough, so I sure as heck did not want to deal with four if I could avoid it). As much as I really wanted to not mount my front plate at all, my streak of not getting a no front plate ticket after nearly 20 years of driving my various vehicles with no front plate came to an end last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply, I live near Vegas and use the term 110+.quite often. I've ordered a couple of brackets off ebay, hopefully one of them will work and not allow the plate to rub on the outward contour of the bumper above the radar pad. The surface above the radar pad curves out pretty good and I noticed many of the factory brackets were designed to accommodate these contours. That's what I've been looking for. According to my local dealer there is not a bracket for this specific model. Taking their word for it. Also a KIA dealer in FL selling parts on line drills down on the 2020 Optima to all models but includes EX Premium separate from EX. They have a bracket for the EX but not the EX Premium???? The dealer said they would order it but would have a restocking fee if it didn't work. I could have a car ahead of me and a car behind me with no front plates but I'll get pulled over. BTW, what bracket are you using.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean about the curvature/contour of the front bumper right in the area where the front license plate goes; as I noted in my previous reply I chose to go with p/n 86519-2T100 which is not a perfect fit for my 2018 SXL as it does not follow the front bumper contour 100% (but is close enough IMHO) but does the job--my front plate doesn't touch any part of the front bumper surface at all. If the front plate bracket needing to follow the front bumper contour 100% is critical (i.e., needs to be a perfect match), then I'm not sure there's a Kia OEM front plate bracket out there for your 2020 EX that'll do the job.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
You need to contact a dealer inside of a USA State where front license plates are required. Ask your questions there.
Google Search is your best friend in finding out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I know what you mean about the curvature/contour of the front bumper right in the area where the front license plate goes; as I noted in my previous reply I chose to go with p/n 86519-2T100 which is not a perfect fit for my 2018 SXL as it does not follow the front bumper contour 100% (but is close enough IMHO) but does the job--my front plate doesn't touch any part of the front bumper surface at all. If the front plate bracket needing to follow the front bumper contour 100% is critical (i.e., needs to be a perfect match), then I'm not sure there's a Kia OEM front plate bracket out there for your 2020 EX that'll do the job.
I might have been a little annul attentive about this, but ended up with something I like. I used a generic full bracket with spacers behind it to account for the contour. Mounted it with screws through the four dimples on the bumper. Placed a rubber or silicon "bracket" around the plate and used 4 screws with covers to mount it to the full bracket. On the back I used the the other silicon "bracket" and factory upper mounting holes. Also placed covers over the bottom two plate holes but they are not functional. On the plus side don't think I can ever be pulled over for covering any lettering what so ever on the plate.

Front 01 (Small).jpg
Front 02 (Small).jpg
Front 03 (Small).jpg
Front 04 (Small).jpg
Rear 01 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
@LarryS--glad to see that you found a solution. Dunno how much you paid for that front bracket but FWIW you could have used the one I used for my front plate that can currently be had from eBay for ~$20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was only around $5.00 delivered with no shipping the next day. I assume it was that cheap because the license plate holes were off a bit and the plate would not fit without wobbling out all the holes with a drill. Guess you get what you pay for. I did want that style though, because it had a lot of openings to mount to the bumper and was able to use the four dimples.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts