Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this noise is supposed to happen when starting up my Kia Optima after it has sat all night? I just bought this car 2 days ago. There seems to be a slight rattle for maybe 2-3 seconds when I first start my car. Anybody else's does this?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
I believe you'll find it's the nature of the beast. My wife says she's never heard a car so loud when first started. Propbably the high pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
416 Posts
My '13 SXL 'rattles' for about 1 second sometimes on an overnight start. Odd it does not do it everytime. Its a little noisier than once warmed up (about 30 seconds later when idles drops to 1K). I think it is normal for these engines. Luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you using a good oil filter? Some of the cheap oil filters don't have a check-valve in them and this can cause noise at startup

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
That rattle might be the cam chain tensioner, where it needs a little help from the oil pressure build up after starting, before the tensioner is able to stop the chain from rattling.

I've always used the OEM oil filter, so it's very rare that I hear that start up rattle, but I've heard it maybe three times total in the last 7 years.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
416 Posts
I've used Purolator Boss filters, the OEMs are so tiny, my riding mower has a larger one, haha. I'll try oem next time just for grins test.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use an oem oil filter and castrol edge 5w40 euro oil in my 16 sxl, never have any rattles or noise on start up. The only thing I can add is to take it easy when you first start the car, let everything come up to temp first, especially on turbo gdi engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts