Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,I am a newbie to posting on here!!! I sure hope that someone else has experienced this issue. I purchased a new 2020 Kia Optima EX Premium with 22 miles on it in June of 2020. I have had issues with the car jerking, like it's not getting enough gas when I accelerate from a stop. This does not happen every time I stop & start, but enough to know that a car isn't supposed to drive like this. I have taken it to the dealer NUMEROUS times, but they cannot "replicate the issue" and it's not throwing a code, so they cannot fix it. I still have the same problem a lot, and as much as I love, love, love my Kia, this has been a very disappointing new car experience for me. These issues occur between 1-2 RPM's then will smooth out and drive normally.

Has anyone else experienced anything else similar to this? My 1 year bumper to bumper is close to running out and I need this issue resolved before then. Suggestions anyone? (Early on in this process I did try, per Kia's instructions, running 4 tanks of top tier premium gas, this made zero difference).

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
153 Posts
Try different driving modes. I know my 18 sxl in sport "bucks" a bit at lower rpms. Eco smooths it out.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
32 Posts
The 2020 Optima Ex has the DCT transmission, sounds like you are getting clutch shudder when taking off. Your bumper to bumper warranty is 5 years 60k miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try different driving modes. I know my 18 sxl in sport "bucks" a bit at lower rpms. Eco smooths it out.
Thank you for the suggestion, I have tried that, several different times, sadly, it did not make any difference. The "jerking" still occurs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2020 Optima Ex has the DCT transmission, sounds like you are getting clutch shudder when taking off. Your bumper to bumper warranty is 5 years 60k miles
Thank you!!!!!! I will certainly suggest that to my dealer repair shop. I desperately need this issue taken care of. It is so dangerous for me (and others) when I pull into traffic and it starts jerking and won't accelerate properly. Once it even died as I was pulling out on the highway. Thankfully, that time there was not much traffic.
Thank you again - I welcome any and all suggestions -

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
Perhaps try another dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps try another dealer?
I had indeed considered that, but the next closest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and I only have the 1 car. But, I may end up doing that, as it has been in my local shop 6+ times for this issue (last time for 3 weeks) and still no solution to the problem. I was just hopeful that some other Kia owner had experienced the same thing, so someone could suggest what could possibly be causing this problem.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
14 Posts
My DCT was doing that. It is much better now. The dealer/shop was able to clear some setting so that the DCT would re-learn how to engage the clutch as you drive it again after the reset. Make sure to never hold the brake on while starting from a stop on a hill. I think there is a automatic hill hold on the tranny anyway. I get the feeling that any abnormality, having foot on brake on a hill, etc, can cause the computer to try to engage the clutch differently. Then it remembers this, and then it is all messed up. This is just my theory. Might be correct because they did say they reset the computer so that it would re-learn how to operate.....

·
Registered
2018 Optima
6 Posts
It should be possible to get at least a response from customer support if your dealer isn't doing the needful. @Kia is the twitter account for KIA US - they should have an 800 number, right? so that may be an avenue for support, and the better business bureau, and possibly state agencies, etc.. I haven't needed such support from Kia so far but did have luck with VW years ago going to their national support number. good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good afternoon,I am a newbie to posting on here!!! I sure hope that someone else has experienced this issue. I purchased a new 2020 Kia Optima EX Premium with 22 miles on it in June of 2020. I have had issues with the car jerking, like it's not getting enough gas when I accelerate from a stop. This does not happen every time I stop & start, but enough to know that a car isn't supposed to drive like this. I have taken it to the dealer NUMEROUS times, but they cannot "replicate the issue" and it's not throwing a code, so they cannot fix it. I still have the same problem a lot, and as much as I love, love, love my Kia, this has been a very disappointing new car experience for me. These issues occur between 1-2 RPM's then will smooth out and drive normally.

Has anyone else experienced anything else similar to this? My 1 year bumper to bumper is close to running out and I need this issue resolved before then. Suggestions anyone? (Early on in this process I did try, per Kia's instructions, running 4 tanks of top tier premium gas, this made zero difference).
Sounds like a possible throttle position sensor problem - fuel system not getting proper input from TPS to supply proper amount of fuel. This is an excellent video on possible causes of the problem:
Good luck.

BV Cooper

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Optima is the same model, same age as the OP. I notice that hesitation on cold starts for a block or two but it goes away. The rest of the time it is fine. It likes a smooth throttle application when it first starts off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It should be possible to get at least a response from customer support if your dealer isn't doing the needful. @Kia is the twitter account for KIA US - they should have an 800 number, right? so that may be an avenue for support, and the better business bureau, and possibly state agencies, etc.. I haven't needed such support from Kia so far but did have luck with VW years ago going to their national support number. good luck!
Good afternoon -
Kia Corporate has been very responsive with me and does realize the issue that I have faced since the purchase of the car. I was told they could not do anything to fix a problem the dealer could not identify, unless it starts doing it with more consistnecy or starts throwing codes. They could not just "throw money" and time replacing things to see if it may or may not work to resolve the problem. I am just at my wits end - and wish my car drove normally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a possible throttle position sensor problem - fuel system not getting proper input from TPS to supply proper amount of fuel. This is an excellent video on possible causes of the problem:
Good luck.

BV Cooper
Wow, thank you for that great video. I really appreciate you sharing this with me, I will pass this along to the dealer, with hopes that they possibly will at least attempt some of these suggestions or at least look under the hood andd perhaps eyeball some of these possible issues. Thank you again, I need all of the assistance & guidance that you all can offer up for me!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same with my 2020. Sluggish when cold. Fine after a few blocks
Mine just doesn't stop, even after driving for a while. It's those low RPM's that is seems to have problems with and has such acceleration issues. But there again, it's hit or miss, it may drive fine for a week, then have issues. No rhyme or reason to it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried the KIA recommend Fuel Injector cleaner?
I have not.

Kia recommended a high octane fuel booster added to 4 tanks of premium fuel. Keep in mind, my car had less than 1,000 miles, when I started with the premium top tier fuel and high octane booster additive. The clerk at the auto store told me that I should not have to be adding a octane booster to a brand new car!! (I had to agree, but I was doing what the Kia Service Shop suggested, as they thought it was fuel related). It made no difference whatsoever. Same issues persisted. I will certainly try the fuel injector cleaner, I have tried everything suggested to try & get this resolved. Thank you for the suggestion - I truly appreciate it!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts