Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55k bought used and clean car fax. I have started to notice a very slight popping-creaking noise from my roof. I have a panoramic sunroof and when the noise happens I can feel it with my hand on the crossbar of the roof. Any ideas?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Its a Feature. Mine only has a minor 'creak' when moving over uneven surfaces, like entering a typical driveway. Chassis just is not stiff enough for that much open non-metal area.

I have no idea what could be done other than a complete redesign.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Feature. Mine only has a minor 'creak' when moving over uneven surfaces, like entering a typical driveway. Chassis just is not stiff enough for that much open non-metal area.

I have no idea what could be done other than a complete redesign.
I thought that might be the case. With all of the panoramic roofs I’ve owned I’ve never experienced a noise. Ugh. Thanks for your input. Things like that and the “premature wear” on the drivers seat make me question the car in general. My shop foreman here a Hyundai at least said the GDI motor was a “lifetime” motor. Guess I’ll see. Once again thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Never encountered any noise from the panoramic roof in the 2011.
Might not help, but do a reset to make certain it's closed properly, can't hurt.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I thought that might be the case. With all of the panoramic roofs I’ve owned I’ve never experienced a noise. Ugh. Thanks for your input. Things like that and the “premature wear” on the drivers seat make me question the car in general. My shop foreman here a Hyundai at least said the GDI motor was a “lifetime” motor. Guess I’ll see. Once again thank you.
Stop the presses - It just came to me that I have not heard the 'creak' in a while. So I drove in/out of driveway several times, different angles, no creak. What different? I figured the only thing different is a couple months ago I got one of those 'touchless' car wash subscriptions, one wash a day among 4 vehicles, so the Optima typically gets washed 2-3 times a week.

Could that lack of grit up there between the parts glass/metal parts make the 'creak' difference? I don't know yet I don't know what else is different than before, hmm.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,594 Posts
Wasn't there a technical service bulletin or other such guidance for how to service the roof to fix the creak? I think it involved dropping the headliner, tightening the bolts, and adding some felt as cushion or damping between some parts or something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wasn't there a technical service bulletin or other such guidance for how to service the roof to fix the creak? I think it involved dropping the headliner, tightening the bolts, and adding some felt as cushion or damping between some parts or something?
That’s VERY interesting! I will call my friend who’s our service manager at my company’s Kia store here in Atlanta. Thanks a mil!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
14 Posts
There was. I had my dealer do this service and it still creaked afterward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts