Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Remote Start / UVO LINK APP FEE

Thought it worth clarifying that the Remote Start, Climate Control, etc., on 2019's Require the UVO LINK app (link below) AND Those Features will require a UVO LINK Subscription AFTER the Complimentary ONE-YEAR Trial.

1-844-886-9411 UVO Sppt stated the Annual Fee amount will NOT be determined -- until next June.

From -- Gen Discussion - Uvo - Thread -- ........... Note: 19_Opt_SX
states he is Now starting his car with UVO Link BUT the App page mentions everything BUT Remote Start.

Edit
: Based on his great explanation below you wonder Why Kia Mkt'ing people can't explain UVO Link Remote Start "Occurs Via the Remote Climate Tab Setup" ...........

UVO LINK APP - Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.myuvo.link

Use of UVO link is subject to agreement to the UVO Privacy Policy (available at https://www.myuvo.com/legal/privacy-policy.shtml) and

Terms of Service (available at https://www.myuvo.com/legal/terms-of-service.shtml).

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
74 Posts
OK, let me try to clear all of this up and get rid of the confusion. The UVO Link app allows you to remotely start the climate controls, which by default means that the engine is being remotely started. The app does not specifically say "remote engine start".

In the app description in the Google Play Store, the final paragraph in the description, when you click on "Read More" states: "Remote Features: Do not use remote climate control or remote start if your vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command."

Now, when using the app from my phone, to start the car (and climate) I go to the "Remote-Climate" tab and set my climate options:

Settings_UVO link.jpg

I then tap "Start". At this point I will get a warning about making sure vehicle is in a properly ventilated area because "Your engine and climate system will be running..."

Warning_UVO link.jpg

Tapping OK will then send the signal to the UVO server and back to your car to start the engine. This may take a minute or 2.

Starting_UVO link.jpg

When the car is remotely started, the four-way flasher will also come on.

You can also set up schedules to remotely start the engine/climate. I am trying that out today, setting it up to warm up the car before I leave work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2019 Chevrolet Colorado remote start takes five seconds provided I am within about fifty yards.

The UVO process takes me between 1.5 to 2 minutes. I have to login to my IPhone, login to the Kia application, re-lock my car then hit the climate control to start. I much prefer my remote to start the car. You can buy Kia remote start for $499 plus installation, however you end up having two remotes.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
74 Posts
Determining the best remote start method depends a lot on your individual circumstances and needs. My 2016 Silverado can be remote started using the key fob, but as you stated, I need to be within normal key fob range for that to happen. Using UVO with the Optima, I do not have to be within key fob range.

The UVO remote start is ideal for my situation. I do not need to warm/cool my car when leaving home because it stays in the garage. Leaving work is a totally different scenario, my office is on the fourth floor on the opposite end of the building from the parking garage, so I have no line of sight to the car or within the fob range. I can log in to UVO from my computer and fire up the car, or like I did last year, schedule the remote start to run 15 minutes before my normal departure time.

UVO remote start can really be advantageous if you use public transportation as part of your commute. Imagine it's 20 degrees outside and snowing and you're riding the metro train, heading back to the station where your car has been parked all day. With UVO, you can start the car when you're about 10 minutes out and have a nice, toasty car with most of the snow melted off the windshield. With a fob remote start, you have to wait until you arrive at the station and walk to the parking lot and get close enough to start the car.

The biggest question for me is whether I feel I am getting enough value to pay for the UVO service come October. I have looked at the subscription packages and would be looking at the $225 annually Plus package to keep the remote capabilities. I wish the they had a "Remote" package, because the "Plus" ($225) package includes all of the features of the "Care" ($99) package, many of which I have no interest in. To me the Care package is more of a nanny alert system to keep track of your kids (curfew alarm, geofence alert, speed alert, panic button notification, valet alert). I don't need all that junk, I'm a 57 year old widower, no kids, only driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone get a discount for uvo link?
In the email they sent when announcing the pricing they said "We'll soon be sending you a special offer as a token of our appreciation. So, please be on the lookout."

I cannot justify spending $225 a year, after we were essentially beta testers for the first year when the app was trash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone get a discount for uvo link?
In the email they sent when announcing the pricing they said "We'll soon be sending you a special offer as a token of our appreciation. So, please be on the lookout."

I cannot justify spending $225 a year, after we were essentially beta testers for the first year when the app was trash.
I am in the same boat as you. I got that email but still waiting for that "special token of appreciation". I agree that the app was trash, still is. Not counting the connectivity delays, you cannot start heated seats using the app, only heated steering. Also, heated steering will only be turned on if the rear defroster is turned on. That to me is idiotic. I don't need to turn on defroster everytime I heat up the steering.
The cost is exorbitant, if you ask me. $225 annualy/22.50 per month? If I am getting a >33k car, I expect to use these remote start and other convenient features for free; it should be included in the price of the car.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
569 Posts
You think that's outrageous? Try being a BMW owner in which you have to pay a $80 yearly subscription fee (or $300 for a 20-year subscription) in order to (continue) to use Apple CarPlay in their late-model (and up) navigation-equipped vehicles. Imagine that--having to pay extra in order to activate and use Apple CarPlay in your vehicle...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
569 Posts
LOL yeah I read about that the other day--dunno what the heck BMW was thinking at the time but glad to see they finally came to their senses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts