Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought 2019 Optima SX new, has 13k so far. Since I bought I've always wondered why the engine is loud? We also have a 2012 Optima SX bought new, now has 99k & that engine is & always has been quiet. Odd!!

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,267 Posts
That’s strange, the Optima should be pretty quiet in the cabin, the 2016 restyle gave it a lot of improvements. Usually when they engine gets noisy, it could be low on oil. I drove the EX and SX versions before getting the hybrid we have now and I was impressed with how quiet the cabin was on all of them, it is like driving a luxury car. We drove a 4 cylinder 3 series and the Optima was quieter. Matter of fact, our hybrid was quieter than some Acura, Volvo and Lexus we were considering, it’s one of the reason we kept it. I can’t get a “luxury” vehicle that is going to have more noise than the car I have. I’ll admit I have some more road noise now that I have lowered the car and swapped on some UHP AS tires.

The engine noise is still low on my hybrid. When I notice it getting noisy, it is almost due for an oil change. With the turbo, it may be burning oil and need a top off. Have you checked the oil level?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
376 Posts
Definitely check the oil. Is the oil light coming on? I add a quart every 3 weeks to my 2016 SX when the light comes on.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Our '11 2.0T sounds like a thrashing machine, always has. Actually the noisiest engine I've ever owned, other than the diesels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some DI engines just tick louder than other?

"With DI, fuel is injected directly into the cylinder using a high-pressure fuel system. ... A slightly higher pitched clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing ON and OFF under the high fuel pressures. These sounds are normal characteristics of the DI high-pressure fuel system"

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our '11 2.0T sounds like a thrashing machine, always has. Actually the noisiest engine I've ever owned, other than the diesels.
We also own a 2012 optima sx and that engine has always been quiet..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
We also own a 2012 optima sx and that engine has always been quiet..
Maybe different hearing qualities. If there's a problem hearing the engine, raise the hood, still quiet? I doubt it., but if it is, it should
be in Ripley's believe it or not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 2020 has around 6k on it and when you first start it, it ticks some. After it warms up it goes away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought 2019 Optima SX new, has 13k so far. Since I bought I've always wondered why the engine is loud? We also have a 2012 Optima SX bought new, now has 99k & that engine is & always has been quiet. Odd!!
Google the Kia class action law suit and run your VIN on the site. You may have one of the bunk engines they sold to THOUSANDS of poor assholes like myself. I hope not. But, good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
74 Posts
Does the Sx have the 2.0 turbo? What motor does it have. I have a 2017 Ex 2.4 and it’s very very quiet. Wonder if the big black plastic pop on engine cover is missing. You can clearly hear the engine on my car if it’s not on the car. It just pulls right off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts