Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has been able to add factory lighting to their LX model?
If so how did you go about getting it done?

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
There’s a cheap alternative way that you can install it that looks like factory for a fraction of a cost, just buy a kit that has 4 strip of led that are all connected and all you had to do is plug it into your cigarette lighter port. It’s fairly cheap probably $15-20 usd and it’s all over EBay or Amazon. I did this on at least 4-5 vehicles already for my friends and they’re happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I added footwell LEDs by tapping into the same wire used in the LED cupholder instructions. They turn with the head lights. Very clean, nothing plugged into lighter and easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got four 18 inch red led strips on ebay for $1.98 (for all four strips, not a $1.98 each) with free shipping. I also ran a wire to the led cup holder. If you remove the shifter boot cover the plug/wire is right there. You can see a video on YouTube on how to remove shift boot cover.(not hard at all). The strips I got are the weather proof ones. They are nice and already have 3m tape. They can also be cut. I used these same stripes on my lower rear bumper reflectors. Split them open and put the leds in and sealed with Red rtv gasket maker. They look and work great.
Here is a link for the Led's the length is just right.
Red LED Strip Lights Interior Glow Neon Lighting Car Truck SUV 30CM 15SMD | eBay

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the bumper reflector idea. Did you just hook it up to the brake lights? Any closer/clearer picture?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let's see if these are ok. You can zoom in on them. Since these leds are only one wire positive I hooked them up to the parking lights. I think there was a rubber plug under the car in the trunk area and I ran the wire up through there. You can buy a led with two positive leads and hook one up to the brakes and the other up to the parking lights. I have those on my wife's 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. LOOKS cool when you hit the brakes.
20200825_190309.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those look nice. Thanks for uploading additional pictures. I see you have the rear window wing and a texas plate. Mine has sagged in the middle and now touches the glass, I think due to the blazing sun in South Florida. Have you seen any issues with yours?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wish this could be done on the 2020 Optima. Don't really see any access to them on the 2020. Appear to be just reflectors

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let's see if these are ok. You csn zoom in on them. View attachment 249008 View attachment 249008

Those look nice. Thanks for uploading additional pictures. I see you have the rear window wing and a texas plate. Mine has sagged in the middle and now touches the glass, I think due to the blazing sun in South Florida. Have you seen any issues with yours?
No problem with the rear window wing. This year in El Paso Tx we have had over 42 days of 100+

1 - 11 of 11 Posts