1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car model: 2019 optima lx(fe)
Which oil filter do you guys use?
I have to drive a lot. I drove about 15k in just 6 months. So, my question is there any oil filter I can use for up to 15k mileage? I use Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic which they advertise that I can go for up to 15k. But I have not found any oil filter that will go for that long. currently, I am using WIX Filters - 51334XP Xp Spin-On Lube Filter and they advertise it will go up to 10k. Is there any oil filter that will go up to 13-15k so I do not have to change my oil too often?

also, how many mileage Kia OEM oil filters go? I did not see any number anywhere but I read comments that Kia recommends 7.5k.
All comments help, Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just my opinion but I would not go that many miles on a GDI engine. A GDI engine seems to add gas to your oil. Since you drive a lot and burn off a lot of impurities I would only go 10k at the most. At 10K you have a lot of options on oil filters.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion but I would not go that many miles on a GDI engine. A GDI engine seems to add gas to your oil. Since you drive a lot and burn off a lot of impurities I would only go 10k at the most. At 10K you have a lot of options on oil filters.
oh okay, I did not know that, also, my most of miles are highway miles, like 90% or more is highway miles

·
Registered
170 Posts
The longer highway miles will burn off a lot of the gas and impurities but I'm still not ever going over 10K in my cars. Not even with Amsoil ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Send your oil into a lab and see if it is breaking down. I use Blackstone Labs. Link: Blackstone Labs

One one vehicle I had, they said the oil was good enough to go to 12,000 miles which surprised me. It was Amsoil then with OEM filter. The 2020 Kia report came back at 600 miles with "Excess gas found in the oil diluting it" so I need to take it out for longer drives to burn it off, although the low-weight OEM oil (Quartz, semi-synth?) probably isn't helping either. Could be it just needs to be broken in so I will re-check at 6,000 miles. Dealer doesn't carry a heavier weight and would have to call in for some and jack the oil change up to $100 from the norm of $54.

I would think if the analysis shows the oil is good at 12K, then there shouldn't be an issue with the filter. Fwiw, Blackstone is around $25 for an analysis and you can have them mail you the sample bottles for free (or used to be as I still got a set.). Results take about 3-4 weeks with mail and they post it online.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will go with the same setup and will change the oil at 10k( Mobil 1 fully syn with Wix XP) I just check the oil at 9700 miles and looks like still have enough oil and also looks really clean oil. I was surprised that still almost all oil left and oil was clean. I am not sure if I should use the OEM filter, I do not feel like using cuz they did not say how many mileage the oil filter can run.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
It's probably good, but If you want, also think if you could get an oil analysis of the 10K mile oil to make sure it's not too diluted. It could look clean, but be diluted with gas so it will not perform to spec. The oil analysis will let you know for sure.

Also, don't tell the shop you use a 10K mile oil change interval, because they will use that as an excuse to deny any warranty coverage.

Last thing: what are the factors that make you want to use 10K interval instead of 5K? I know it saves work and money, but there are some techniques, tools, and equipment you can use to change the oil yourself very quickly, so it's worth considering the minor inconvenience to switch to 5K.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably good, but If you want, also think if you could get an oil analysis of the 10K mile oil to make sure it's not too diluted. It could look clean, but be diluted with gas so it will not perform to spec. The oil analysis will let you know for sure.

Also, don't tell the shop you use a 10K mile oil change interval, because they will use that as an excuse to deny any warranty coverage.

Last thing: what are the factors that make you want to use 10K interval instead of 5K? I know it saves work and money, but there are some techniques, tools, and equipment you can use to change the oil yourself very quickly, so it's worth considering the minor inconvenience to switch to 5K.
I actually change the oil myself at home, and I always been use 10k or more my previous car oil change , my brother have 2012 Camry and he change after 15k but he use annual or 20k Mobil 1. Even Kia said 7500 is ideal for the oil change. I’m using 15k Mobil which at least I can do 10k, right? I was concerns about oil filter, I couldn’t find any oil filter for that mileage. Also, if I I change it about 3-4 months

·
Registered
113 Posts
With GDI I wouldn't go more than 5k intervals. Fuel dilution is a big issue and so is deposit build up on the valves. If your car is still under warranty 10k OCI is too much. I know KIA states that 5w20 is ok but given the 100 plus summer temps a xw40 is much better. Check out the bob is the oil guys forums you will learn more about oil than you ever wanted to know. Oh and just fyi I use the factory filter and Castro Edge 0w40 Euro formula.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
Right, the problem is not with the oil letting you down after 10K miles.

The problem is the Kia engine is different than your previous cars, or your brother's Camry. It's a very important difference that dilutes the oil so that you cannot trust it after a while.

It's like someone is ruining your oil over time, by pouring fuel into your oil fill cap to dilute the oil.

So even if you feel like you can trust the oil to perform, you need to be worried that the oil is being tampered with over time, and changed into something different that you cannot trust.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes and looking at the "color" of the oil is worthless. Oil has detergents and a bunch of additives that work together. For example your TBN is the ability to "absorb" acids that are created by internal combustion engines. The only way to really determine if oil is still good is taking a sample and getting it tested at a lab. I've used Blackstone in the past and they do a great job. You really should reduce your interval GDI engines are really hard on oil especially is you short trip and your engine doesn't get to operating temp.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Just got to add, with the combined millions and millions of miles on these engines, haven't heard of anyone having their engine let go, Kia or otherwise, because of oil dilution, so don't believe it can be construed as a major concern.
I know, look at the oil analysis........Doesn't mean a hill of beans, at least to me.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
117 Posts
car model: 2019 optima lx(fe)
Which oil filter do you guys use?
I have to drive a lot. I drove about 15k in just 6 months. So, my question is there any oil filter I can use for up to 15k mileage? I use Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic which they advertise that I can go for up to 15k. But I have not found any oil filter that will go for that long. currently, I am using WIX Filters - 51334XP Xp Spin-On Lube Filter and they advertise it will go up to 10k. Is there any oil filter that will go up to 13-15k so I do not have to change my oil too often?

also, how many mileage Kia OEM oil filters go? I did not see any number anywhere but I read comments that Kia recommends 7.5k.
All comments help, Thanks guys in advance.
Change your oil and filter according to the owners manual and that is every 7500 miles. If that translates into every three months, then just do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts