Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an optima ex a few weeks ago and now have 1200 miles in it. Very disappointed in mpg so far. Best it will do is 32-33 mpg at 60-65mph on a flat open highway. Sticker says 37mpg. Has anyone else had this situation? The salesman I bought the car from tells me it just needs to break in, bit I don't see it improving. I traded a 2015 ex with the 2.4 L and it did 35+mpg on the same roads. Not impressed so far.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Rather than checking the MPG dash calculation, just fill and check mileage manually to be certain the car is in fact seeing poor mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not kept track of actual gallons and miles at the pump, but I drive about 110 mi/day to and from work and fill once every 4 days. I do put more gallons in the 2019 with the 1.6L than I did with the 2015 and 2.4L. Same driver and same road.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Although the following is apples and oranges, your numbers would seem a bit odd given that I can achieve (if I'm trying to be conscious about my fuel economy) upwards of 35 MPG on the highway at speeds between 65-70 mph in my 2018 SXL 2.0T which on paper has rated MPGs much lower than that of your 2019 EX with the 1.6T engine.

Put a few more thousand miles on the engine, do an oil change, then manually check (i.e., don't fully rely on the car MPG readout) your fuel economy; I presume you also checked tire pressure, just to get that out of the way...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our 2019 hybrid epa was 40/40. When we first got it last Feb, we were hitting 38 to 39. Now we're seeing 40-44.
We love the car. Just wish Kia would ensure the PHEV was sold and serviced at all stores. We would have purchased the PHEV instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Therosses5
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing