Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2019 Kia Optima 2.4L with 11,500 miles. I have just had the oil changed for the third time (I'm going to change it every 4,000 miles). I'm taking it to the dealer for the oil change because it's easier to document it that way. I noticed that the last two times I had the oil change done, the level was high, about 5/8 of an inch above the full line indicator. According to the work orders, 5 quarts of oil were added each time. According to the specification table in my owner's manual, the oil capacity is 5.07 quarts for the 2.4L engine. I'm wondering if this is a typo. According to other sources online, the oil capacity is 4.3 quarts for the 2.4L non-turbo. It's the 2.0 turbo that takes 5.07 quarts. Did someone at headquarters tabulate incorrectly??

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
On our replacement 2.0T engine the oil capacity as stated 5.07 qts, same as 2.4, but just changed the oil again on Saturday, put in 5 qts as I always do and as usual the oil level is maybe a 1/4" or so above the full line. Don't know why, but not to worry, at least I haven't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am trying to get at is this: What is the actual oil capacity of the 2.4 L engine? When the dealer puts in 5 quarts as recommended in the manual, I end up with way too much. Not 1/4", but 5/8". I'm seeing oil capacity of 4.3 quarts from online sources. Based on the level I'm seeing after putting in 5 quarts, it seems that adding just 4.3 quarts would take the level right to the full line. So I'm wondering if the capacity listed in the manual for the 2.4 L engine (that is, 5.07 quarts) is a typo. I'm suspicious because the capacity for the 2.0 turbo, which is in the column just above that for the 2.4 L, is 5.07 as well. Coincidence? Or proofreading error?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Actually mine is @ 1/4" above the "F" letter, not 1/4" above the full dot, but I do know exactly what you're trying to say. My advice, especially if oil level above the full mark is of major concern, rather than reinventing the wheel, have them refill with 4.5 qts that will keep the quantity at the full dot and check it the next day after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Just to clarify, what procedure are you using to check your oil level?

The indicated amount will vary, depending on the procedure you are using.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
If you're asking me, car sat overnight and checked in morning, pull DS, wipe, insert & pull, above F letter.
Not too much one can do incorrecty when checking, but must say these engine do take a while to drain down, but on mine, it was probably open a half hour or so as I was tracking down where the smell of oil burning on the exhaust manifold was coming from.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
That's where I'm going, if he is letting the oil fully drain like overnight, then the level will be expected to show higher than the F, and that's what you'd want to see.

If he is checking the level right after shutoff, before the oil has a chance to drain, then the level will be expected to show lower than F.

If you wait the normal time called for by the manual, the level will be expected to show F.

If you had a shop diagnose your engine for the engine failure issue, and they give the engine the OK, they get you a different dipstick and, something I'm trying to remember, I think you are supposed to use a different volume of oil than what the manual calls for, slightly more now? Can someone clarify? In that case, I think you will be expected to see a slightly higher level above F as expected, so if you see just F, you should add more?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Initially when they did the engine test, they installed a stick that was @ 1/2 qt larger capacity, believe the red handle, but that then became the factory installed stick. If it states 5.07 qt. capacity then with a oil/filter change it should be 5 qts. at the full dot, not way over the line by 1/2", something's not correct. Personally, I don't care, 5 qts gets put in and that's it, but the same as the OP stated, when the dealership did my 2 changes and used 5qts, same result, way over full dot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts